Do you slaughter the daily Sudoku grid? Turn crossword puzzles into carnage? See how much you know about one of the newest strategy-based brain teaser games called KenKen.
Who invented KenKen puzzles?
- Tetsuya Miyamoto
- Kenneth Kennedy
- Will Shortz
KenKen is similar to what other popular puzzle?
- crossword puzzles
What does the name "KenKen" mean?
- double math
- wisdom squared
Do you need to have a lot of math skills to solve a KenKen puzzle?
- No math skills are needed, just logic.
- You need to know algebra.
- You need to know basic arithmetic.
What is the name of the computer program that creates KenKen puzzles?
- Knumber Kruncher
- Ken Koder
In which newspaper did KenKen puzzles first appear daily?
- The New York Times
- The Times (UK)
- The Japan Times
Which company began marketing KenKen worldwide?
Which was the first American magazine to run KenKen puzzles?
- Mental Floss
- Reader's Digest
- Scientific American
Which U.S. puzzle guru helped popularize KenKen?
- David Hoyt
- Bobby Fischer
- Will Shortz
What grid sizes are used in KenKen puzzles?
- 3-by-3 to 9-by-9
- 4-by-4 to 8-by-8
- 5-by-5 to 9-by-9
What are the outlined boxes within the puzzles called?
What math function might be specified in each cage?
- only addition or subtraction
- only multiplication or division
- addition, subtraction, multiplication or division
What is the rule regarding repeating numbers?
- You cannot use any number more than twice in any row or column.
- Numbers cannot be repeated in any row or column.
- Numbers cannot be repeated in rows, but they can be repeated in columns.
Can there be more than one answer to a KenKen puzzle?
- Yes, each puzzle has two correct answers.
- Yes, each puzzle has the same number of correct answers as its corresponding number of grids.
Which numbers are used to solve a 4-by-4 puzzle?
- 0, 1, 2, 3
- 1, 2, 3, 4
- 1, 2, 4, 8
KenKen creator Tetsuya Miyamoto runs a popular year-long weekend class that accepts how many students?
- 5 students
- 20 students
- 50 students
What kind of instruction does Miyamoto give his students?
- He teaches philosophy and logic.
- He does not teach his students.
- He teaches his students math and science.
How many puzzles can you play each day at KenKen.com?
Are larger-grid puzzles harder to solve than smaller-grid puzzles?
- Larger-grid puzzles are usually harder than the smaller-grid puzzles.
- Yes, the larger the grid, the harder the puzzle.
- No, size has no relation to degree of difficulty.
Which of the following is NOT a good tip if you're having difficulty solving a KenKen puzzle?
- Solve cages with an even number of boxes first.
- Fill in any one-box cages first.
- Focus on cages with prime numbers because they have a limited number of possible solutions.