The Laundromat Etiquette Quiz
A little pre-planning (and pre-treating?) can make a big difference on laundry day. Find out if you're practicing proper courtesy at the public laundromat.
According to etiquette, how do you claim a washing machine?
- drop your laundry on the floor while you find payment
- put your laundry load on top of an available machine
- put your laundry load on top of an unavailable machine
When is it OK to stake your claim on a dryer?
- when you claim your washing machine
- when the spin cycle is over
- when the wash cycle is over
Is it OK to leave your laundry unattended while you run a few errands?
- It's OK.
- It's sometimes might be OK.
- It's never OK.
Which of these should you do before you leave home with your laundry?
- sort your clothes
- apply wrinkle reducer
- consider the drying time
What should you add to the wash cycle if your towels smell mildewy?
- baking soda
- white vinegar
True or false: Adding a dry towel with your wet clothes will reduce drying time.
If the washing machine doesn't have a bleach dispenser, what should you do?
- add it during the rinse cycle
- dilute it in water first before adding clothes
- pour it over the top of the clothes
When should you add liquid fabric softener to the load?
- during the rinse cycle
- during the spin cycle
- during the wash cycle
Which water temperature is best for whites and lights?
- cold water
- hot water
- warm water
Where is the world's largest laundromat located?
Are laundromat dryers hotter than home dryers?
- Yes, commercial dryers get hotter.
- No, they run at similar temperatures.
- No, at-home dryers get hotter.
Which material shouldn't be dried in a laundromat dryer?
- nylon and rubber
- polyester and rubber
- all three
What's the last thing you should add when you're using a top-loading washing machine?
What causes towels to lose their absorbency?
- fabric softener dryer sheets
How should you sort loads of laundry?
- by like colors, light from dark
- by like fabrics
- by like lint properties
- by how dirty they are
- all of these are sorting options
Which of the following should you do before adding your clothes to the washer?
- bleach the machine
- clean the lint trap
- look inside the machine before using it
Which will speed up drying time?
- combine fast-drying clothes
- separate heavier loads
- not overloading the dryer
- all of these
True or false: Once you've run a load in the dryer, your next load will dry faster.
How should you carry your laundry basket, to minimize the strain on your back?
- away from your body, at waist level
- close to your body, at waist level
You need a washing machine, but the only one not spinning has wet clothing in it. Do you take them out?
- Yes, of course.
- Yes, but I'd wait about 15 minutes before doing so.
- No, I would never touch anyone's clothing.
- I have always wondered about this.
How full should the washing machine be for a large load?
- about half full
- about three-quarters full
- as much as will fit
Which helps keep clothes from getting wrinkled in the dryer?
- don't overload the dryer
- fold or hang clothing immediately
- shake each piece of clothing before adding it to the dryer
- all of these
Which is one of the biggest sins of shared laundry-room etiquette?
- using bleach
- leaving your clothes unattended
- not sorting your clothes at home
You didn't notice a stranger's red sock in the washing machine, and now your whites are all pink. What should you do?
- soak them in a diluted-bleach solution
- throw them away
- put them in the dryer
Which should you bring from home if you're following the rules of the laundromat?
- dryer sheets
- laundry detergent
- liquid fabric softener
- all of these
True or false: Using too much laundry detergent can leave soapy residue on your clothes.
What is a laundry butler?
- a large rolling basket
- a large rolling basket with a pole and bar above for hanging clothing
- a large rolling basket with two sorting compartments
How long does a typical wash take at the laundromat?
- no more than 30 minutes
- about 45 minutes
- no more than an hour
What was the name of the national laundry chain that featured beer and TV while your laundry spun in the '80s?
- Duds 'n Suds
- Mr. Suds
How should you signal the machine you were using is now available?
- close the door or lid
- leave the door or lid open
- leave a note