The LGBTQ Rights Movement Quiz
The LGBTQ community has come a long ways since the mid-20th century. How much do you know about the LGBTQ rights movement?
Which country was the first to permit same-sex marriage?
What year was the "don't ask, don't tell" policy first started in the United States military?
Many historians say that a new era of LGBTQ rights started in the 1980s due to what?
- AIDS epidemic
- A wave of out politicians serving in the United States
- A sudden shift in media coverage of gay society
What was the "lavender scare?"
- A shortage of purple silk used in rainbow flags
- A purging of homosexuals from the U.S. government
- An early outbreak of HIV in the 1970s
In what year was the pioneering LGBTQ rights organization formed in the United States?
In which city was the Society for Human Rights group formed?
- New York
- San Francisco
Robin Tyler was one of the first to do what?
- Host a national television talk show
- Come out on TV
- Be elected to office
In which country is homosexuality still punishable by death?
What was the name of the first gay rights publication?
- "Remaking America"
- "Friendship and Freedom"
- "Gay Rights and You"
In 2003, after hearing Lawrence v. Texas, the United States Supreme Court struck down what?
- Laws prohibiting gays from serving openly in Congress
- Sodomy laws
- Defense of marriage laws
Which black civil rights activist was also openly gay and campaigned for gay rights, too?
- Bayard Rustin
- Amiri Baraka
- Stokely Carmichael
How many colored stripes did the original rainbow flag have?
How many colored stripes are featured on the contemporary version of the rainbow flag?
In the 1700s, social reformer Jeremy Bentham made the case that homosexuality was what?
- A forgettable flaw
- A victimless crime
- A part of nature
Who was the first openly gay man elected to office in California?
- Jose Sarria
- Harvey Milk
- James Stoll
Who is known as "The Mother of Pride?"
- Lynn Conway
- Elizabeth Birch
- Brenda Howard
What was the first state to decriminalize homosexuality?
In what year did the USSR decriminalize homosexuality?
Before the gay rights movement adopted them as symbols, where were pink and black triangles used as social identifiers?
- In speakeasies during Prohibition
- Witchcraft ceremonies, particularly in colonial America
- Nazi concentration camps
How did activist and politician Harvey Milk die?
- Complications of AIDS
- He was shot.
- A freak bike accident
Why did the 20th-century movement embrace the word "homophile" instead of "homosexual?"
- It was easier to get into publication.
- People thought gay people were incapable of love.
- Leaders wanted to stress love over sexual behavior.
If you're a part of the LGBT community and want to be welcomed in the United States, you're best moving to which area?
- Small towns
In 1974, Maureen Colquhoun was the first gay member of parliament in which country?
- United Kingdom
In what year did the American Psychiatric Association remove homosexuality from lists of mental disorders?
How many countries legalized same-sex marriage before the United States?
American men tend to be more open to gay rights than women.
The first Gay Pride parades were organized to mark the date of which event?
- The Stonewall riots
- The murder of a well-known activist
- The signing of the Civil Rights Act
Where did the Stonewall riots take place?
- Oklahoma City
- New York City
Who owned the Stonewall Inn, often considered a flash point for the start of the gay rights movement?
- The Mafia
- A homophobic woman named Margaret Norris
- A friend of Harvey Milk
What does Christopher St. Liberation Day celebrate?
- The Stonewall Riots
- The day Illinois repealed its anti-sodomy laws
- The end of "don't ask, don't tell" in the U.S. military