This lighting quiz will test your knowledge of lighting options and installation. Test yourself with the lighting quiz.
Ambient lighting ...
- lights a relatively small area for a specific task.
- directs attention or emphasizes an object.
- illuminates an area and creates a comfortable brightness.
- is used to set a mood or feeling.
Which is not a common use of accent lighting?
- under cabinets
- over a table
- in bookshelves
- on artwork
What's the most cost-effective way to improve the lighting in any room?
- Install dimmers to switches and three-way light bulbs to lamps.
- Install track lighting.
- Add more table and floor lamps.
- Install recessed lighting.
Which is not true of track lighting?
- It's often used to illuminate a wall of pictures or artwork.
- It's typically installed on living room walls.
- Its flexibility makes it a popular lighting choice.
- Individual lights can be moved around on a track system.
Which is not considered recessed lighting?
- ceiling pocket lights
- lights behind perimeter soffits
- table and floor lamps
- out-of-sight lights on top of kitchen cabinets and bookshelves
Which is not a typical use of pendant lights?
- over coffee tables
- over bathroom vanities
- over kitchen islands
- over dining tables
Chandeliers are now being used ...
- over garden tubs.
- over beds.
- on sun and screened porches.
- all of the above
Which is not true of ceiling fans?
- They add a carefree, casual look to a room.
- They're dated ... out of style ... old news.
- They circulate the air on a hot, humid day.
- They're typically used over beds, and on porches and higher ceilings.
Which is not true of wall sconces?
- They can add a rich, sophisticated look to dining and bedroom walls.
- They're often used to bookend larger furniture.
- They should never be put on a dimmer.
- They're well-suited for hallways, stairways and foyers.
Table and floor lamps should only be used in offices and living/family rooms.