The Ultimate Living Room Decorating Quiz
Decorating your humble abode and donÃƒÂ¢Ã‚â‚¬Ã‚â„¢t know where to start in terms of color and style? Take our quiz and learn some essential decorating principles.
What is the fastest and cheapest way to reinvent the walls of your house?
If your home undergoes a lot of wear and tear from kids and pets, what is the best paint to use?
- low sheen paint on the walls and semi gloss on the trimmings
- semi gloss paint on the walls and high gloss paint on the trimming
- matte paint on the walls and semi gloss paint on the trimmings
What is the advantage of latex (water) based paint over oil based paint?
- Water based paint is more durable and longer lasting.
- None, they are equally advantageous.
- Water based dries faster, is easier to clean and has less of an odor when fresh.
If I want to make a large room more cozy, what shade of paint should I use?
- a light shade
- a dark shade
- a very glossy shade
The ceilings in my living room are very low. How can I add some height?
- Trim the bottom of the walls in a dark shade.
- Paint the ceiling the exact shade of the walls.
- Use light colors on the ceiling, preferably two shades lighter than the color of the walls.
Can wallpaper be used in kitchens and bathrooms?
- No, it will grow mildew.
- Yes, today wallpaper can be washed and scrubbed.
- Yes, but it will not last as long as tiles.
What effect does striped and vertically printed wallpaper have on a room?
- It makes the room appear wider.
- It gives the illusion of a raised ceiling.
- It gives the room a '60s feel.
How can I make my living room appear Victorian?
- Install a fireplace.
- Cover piano and chair legs, as was customary in those days.
- Add ornately detailed moldings .
How can I lay floor tiles to make a room appear larger?
- parallel to the wall
- on the diagonal
- in a zigzag pattern
What type of wood is best to create a country style room?
- maple or cherry
What are the benefits of carpet as a floor covering throughout the entire house?
- It is inexpensive.
- It provides insulation against noise and cold.
- It gives the house a cozy feel.
What type of carpet is longest lasting?
- woolen carpet
- tightly woven carpet
- sisal and coir carpet
Why is granite a better choice for a bathroom than marble?
- more mildew resistant
- less expensive
- less slippery
What is the most versatile and long lasting flooring?
- ceramic tiles
- vinyl tiles
- stone tiles
What is the most inexpensive and hard-wearing flooring?
What is the most cost efficient way to install new bathroom and kitchen cabinets?
- buy cabinets made from laminate rather than wood
- reinvent old cabinets rather than buy new ones
- choose glass doors instead of solid doors
What is the best type of surface to have for a countertop?
- solid surface
- a ceramic tiled surface
- a wood surface
How can I get the most out of my window dressing?
- Combine elements.
- Consult with a professional designer or decorator.
- Ensure they aren't too decorative at the expense of practicality.
What do professionals warn when buying furniture?
- Buy pieces made from solid wood.
- Know beforehand where you will place a major piece of furniture.
- Do not buy antiques.
What is the ideal form for designing a kitchen?
- an imaginary triangle
- an imaginary circle
- an imaginary square