Quiz: Do you know how to maintain and repair your minor kitchen equipment?
Many kitchens are full of items that require minor maintenance and repair. Take our quiz to see whether you know how to keep your kitchen equipment in tiptop shape.
A whetstone usually has which two types of sides?
- coarse side and fine side
- diamond texture side and smooth side
- shiny side and dull side
What should you coat the whetstone with before using it?
- mineral spirits
What is the proper angle for the bevel of a blade?
- 30 degrees
- 45 degrees
- 60 degrees
Which way should you sharpen your kitchen knives?
- Rub the blade back and forth parallel to the whetstone.
- Rub the blade back and forth perpendicular to the whetstone.
- Push the blade diagonally along the length whetstone away from yourself.
When sharpening a knife, how should you attend to the two sides of the blade?
- alternate sides with each stroke
- alternate sides every 10 strokes
- alternate sides every 30 strokes
What should you use to remove the debris that develops on a knife?
- steel wool
- soft cloth
How should you sharpen scissors?
- with sandpaper
- on the coarse side of a whetstone
- on the fine side of a whetstone
What is the best way to deal with dull pinking shears?
- a professional
- a very small whetstone
If your scissors are too loose, what should you do?
- Pour some sand between the blades.
- Throw them away.
- Tighten the pivot screw.
How should you tighten scissors that are held together by a rivet?
- with liquid metal
- with a hammer
- with a screwdriver
What are the two components of epoxy glue?
- resin and hardener
- wallpaper paste and rubber
- cement and water
Which of the following is a reason for using epoxy to repair china?
- It take a long time to dry.
- It smells great.
- It's waterproof.
What should you use to apply epoxy to broken pieces?
- paint brush
- sponge eyeshadow applicator
About how long does it take for epoxy to cure?
Which of the following should you use to support the unbroken portion of a mug?
- molding clay
- bowl of water
What can you use to make a paraffin mold of a badly shattered plate?
- a pattern
- an identical plate
- a picture
When you're making your own brass, silver and copper cleaner, where should you go to buy oxalic acid?
- appliance store
- grocery store
- hardware store
Rather than throwing away old towels, what can you make out of them?
- pot holders
- wood shavings
What size should you make the pot holders?
- 8 inches (20.3 centimeters)
- 12 inches (30.4 centimeters)
- 16 inches (41 centimeters)
What can you use to make the pattern of a round pot holder?
- dinner plate
- coffee mug