The Ultimate Maximizing Storage Space Quiz
Every home has some kind of unused space that can be utilized for storage. It just takes some ingenuity, planning and time to gain valuable storage area. Take this quiz to see how it's done.
What is needed to utilize unused space for storage?
- building license
How can a staircase help you with storage planning?
- The space under the staircase can usually be used for storage.
- Stairs lead to other areas of the house where you can find storage space.
- It doesn't really help.
What ready-made item can be installed almost anywhere for storage?
- a chest of drawers
- a shelf
- a filing cabinet
Does a wide hallway offer any inspiration?
- great place for pictures
- good for hanging spare kitchen utensils
- great for a shallow cabinet
What can you do with a little-used corner where you can't put shelves or a cabinet?
- If it's little-used, it's not worth using.
- Store bulky sports equipment behind a screen.
- Place a well-lit mirror to give an illusion of space.
Moving on to the bathroom, what would you do with towels, tissues, bath toys and other items that don't fit in the bathroom cabinets?
- Arrange them neatly on a sheet of plastic on the floor.
- Stack them neatly on top of the toilet cistern.
- You could hang a storage basket on the wall.
Any ideas how to better use the shower curtain rod?
- Hang washcloths and bath toys on extra hooks.
- Not a good idea - you will interfere with the curtain.
- Balance bath toys on the corner sections.
Where is an ideal, out-of-the-way place for towels and bathrobes?
- on the wall near the sink
- behind the door
- near the shower head
How can you add storage space to your bedroom without cluttering floor space?
- Clear junk from the closet.
- Place a chest of drawers near the closet.
- Build a headboard storage unit.
There is another, sometimes overlooked, place. What is it?
- top of the closet
- under the bed
- area between the end of closet and the wall
If you have the floor space but don't want a chest of drawers or shelves, how can you gain storage space?
- an ottoman
- a floor safe
- excavate an underground storage facility
What can you do about a cramped kitchen?
- depends on budget
Ideally, what should be the distances between work areas?
- 1 to 3 feet
- 4 to 9 feet
- 10 to 12 feet
Where should you store cutlery and crockery?
- near the dining area
- on the upper shelves
- near the dishwasher
Many people have a microwave on the counter top, is this good usage of counter space?
- Put the microwave on a shelf to free counter space.
- Manufacturers require the microwave to be placed on the counter.
- As long as the microwave is in the corner it doesn't take too much room.
How can you efficiently store tapered glassware?
- Hang it on hooks behind the kitchen door.
- Position every other glass upside down.
- Place it on the microwave that is taking up space on the counter.
What can you do with sharp knives to keep them out of reach of children, yet readily accessible?
- Store them in a safe place away from the kitchen.
- Place them on a magnetized strip behind the microwave.
- Hang them inside a high cabinet.
How can you store often-used wooden spoons and utensils if you have no drawer space, but still need them at hand?
- Put them in a nice pitcher.
- Put them in a basket behind the kitchen door.
- Arrange them on a high unused shelf.
What is an efficient way to deal with distribution of family laundry?
- Prepare a schedule of laundry distribution duty.
- Do each person's laundry separately.
- Have a basket for each member of the family.
How would you deal with items needing to be mended or discarded?
- Pin a note on the item so the owner can do what needs to be done.
- Place them in bags until you can deal with them.
- Pile them into a basket in an used corner.