The Ultimate Meditation Quiz
Breathe in, breath out, breathe in, breathe out. How much do you know about the benefits of mindful meditation?
Meditation is focused on training which part of a human being?
- your mind
- your body
- your heart
What is a defining trait of Focused Attention meditation?
- You give up on the idea of focusing your mind.
- You learn to focus your mind on everything, and nothing, at once.
- You focus your mind on one thing.
What is neuroplasticity?
- The ability to change the brain's functionality and structure
- Drug-assisted meditation
- The science of creating plastic brains
OMM stands for what kind of meditation?
- Open Mind Meditation
- Oral Mentor Meditation
- Open Monitoring Meditation
Some people say meditation can help you improve your "qi," which is what?
- life force
Samatha meditation is designed to help you do what?
- improve your body's health
- tame your mind
- find new insights
How can meditation change the brain's aging process?
- It can slow it down.
- It can speed it up.
- It can completely stop brain aging.
What does the practitioner monitor during OMM meditation?
- visual inputs
What is a mantra?
- a vocalization with spiritual meaning
- a super-positive phrase repeated endlessly
- prayer beads used for meditation
How can meditation prevent you from becoming ill?
- increases your blood flow
- boosts your immune system
- helps you visualize germs as your enemies
About how long must you practice meditation before your brain begins to change?
- about eight weeks
- about eight months
- about a year
What is the point of nirvana?
- total happiness
- freedom from bonds
- to rock out
A study by Wake Forest University showed that meditation's pain relieving properties were sometimes more effective than what?
Ultimately, mindfulness is just what?
- exercise for your mind
- a path to religion
- new Age hocus pocus
The brain's posterior cingulate is related to which functions?
Some experts say you should AVOID meditation at what part of the day?
- at bedtime
- when you first wake up
- after lunch
What is MBSR?
- meditation-biased soul reactivity
- mindfulness-based stress reduction
- meditation-based self realization
What is the brain's temporoparietal junction associated with?
- mind wandering
A National Health Interview Survey found that Americans use mediation more than what other destressing technique?
- massage therapy
- chiropractic adjustment
In some rare situations, meditation can lead to what?
- circulatory problems
An altered state of consciousness is any brain state different than a normal waking state that features what kind of brain waves?
- Beta waves
- Gamma waves
- Alpha waves
Meditation may increase what sort of oscillations in the brain?
- Gamma wave oscillations
- Delta wave oscillations
- Alpha wave oscillations
One research team found that meditation increased gray matter in which part of the brain?
- brain stem
- frontal cortex
What typically happens to our frontal cortex as we age?
- It shrinks.
- It begins swelling.
- It hurts.
In loving-kindness meditation, meditators start by developing compassion for what?
- loved ones
In samadi, what happens to the mind?
- It becomes one with the universe.
- It becomes still.
- It disappears.
Buddhism indicates that meditation can help the practitioner hone which two mental qualities?
- happiness and love
- contentment and focus
- serenity and insight
How long does the Dalai Lama meditate each morning?
- Four hours
- 40 minutes
- 90 minutes
Sahaja yoga meditation is also known as what?
- chaos reduction meditation
- emotional control meditation
- mental silence meditation
Meditation increases telomerase, which is what?
- an enzyme in your body
- a type of cell protein
- a subset of chromosomes