Get that body moving with this fast-paced metabolism quiz. Or just loaf around and make it a slow-paced metabolism quiz. Either way, you'll probably learn something about that pesky little process that burns calories.
Let's start with the basics: What exactly is your metabolism?
- the process your body uses to get energy from food and drink
- the organ used to process calories
- the way to gain and lose weight
Calories are combined with what in the process of metabolism?
What does your body need energy for?
So what does NOT require energy?
- repairing cells
- fluctuating hormone levels
What's a basal metabolic rate?
- how fast your metabolism burns off a single calorie
- the amount of calories you burn without doing a thing besides breathing
- how much energy it takes for you to lose weight
What are some things that influence your basal metabolic rate?
- your shoe size
- your activity level and overall fitness
- your size, age and sex
Why would your age influence metabolic rate?
- you shrink
- your muscle turns to fat
- you do less
Who generally burns more calories?
- their roughly equal
So how much of your daily calorie burn goes to your basal metabolism?
- 50 percent
- 25 percent
- 70 percent
What is thermogenesis?
- Storm's super power in the X-Men
- freezing yourself after death
- the energy needed to process food
How many calories are required for thermogenesis?
- anywhere from 100-800 calories
- about 45 calories
- over 1000 calories
Does the amount of calories your body burn in thermogenesis fluctuate?
What else is going to help you burn calories?
- eating less
- physical activity
Weight gain is often due to a slow metabolism.
However, what is one disease that may cause the metabolism to slow?
Hypothyroidism is caused by:
- an underactive thyroid
- an overactive thyroid
- an enlarged thyroid
If you're looking to lose weight, try:
- physical activity
- strength training
Why would strength training "boost" your metabolism?
- muscle tissue is going to burn more calories than fat tissues
- it makes your thyroid produce more hormones
- no one knows
Other than adding muscle, how can you boost your metabolism?
- eating blueberries
- you kind of can't
What is one thing that could slow your metabolism?
- eating carbs
- severe dieting
- being single
Your metabolism slows for how long after a diet?
- possibly years
- just a few weeks
Green tea will definitely boost your metabolism.
What happens to a pregnant person's metabolism?
- it slows down
- it speeds up
What is NOT a type of fat in the body?
Which fat burns energy and produces heat?
So what does brown fat have to do with metabolism?
- More brown fat has been proven to make your metabolism race.
- people with more brown fat tend to have lower BMI
What variable has shown to increase brown fat?
- cool temperatures
- what region you live in
- what job you have
What biological function has been shown to influence metabolism?
When does your metabolism start slowing down?
- in your mid-40s
- in your mid-20s
- in your mid-60s
Spicy foods have been shown to cause a spike in your metabolism. Why aren't we jumping for joy and eating tons of peppers?
- we should be
- because the spike is much too brief to jump start weight loss
- because it's a secret only we know about