How much do you know about midwives and doulas?
These days, some women won't give birth unless they have a doula and a midwife by their side. How much do you know about what these birth attendants do? Test your childbirth knowledge with this quiz.
What does a doula do?
- administer a constant flow of pain medication
- assist the doctor in deciding how to proceed with labor
- provide emotional and physical support for a birthing mother
What task does a midwife perform that a doula doesn't?
- provides advice on which positions work best for labor
- helps with medical decisions and catches the baby as he or she is born
- performs massage to comfort the mother
What sets the services of a doula apart from those of a midwife?
- The doula is more expensive.
- The doula works better with doctors and nurses.
- The doula will be with you every second of the birth.
What do doulas and midwives have in common?
- Both doulas and midwives have equivalent levels of education (usually a Master's degree).
- Both doulas and midwives are certified to practice by the American Medical Association.
- Both doulas and midwives have been linked with better birth outcomes, including a reduced need for cesarean sections and epidurals.
Who is considered the mother of authentic midwifery?
- Ricki Lake
- Ina May Gaskin
- Mary Breckinridge
What controversial practice are direct-entry midwives linked to?
- home births
- morphine drips
- cord blood banking
Midwives tend to work with low-risk pregnancies. Which of the following factors indicates a high-risk pregnancy?
- a first-time mother over the age of 40
- a history of past delivery problems
- both of the above
What is a CNM?
- childbirth novice midwife
- Center of Natural Midwifery
- certified nurse-midwife
One study showed that labor can go much more quickly for women using doulas compared to women without doulas. How much shorter was the labor?
- 10 percent
- 25 percent
- 50 percent
How many births do doulas in the United States attend?
- less than 5 percent of births
- between 15 and 25 percent
- about 50 percent