The Military Ground Assault Vehicles Quiz
Sometimes air power just isn't enough, meaning the military has to send in ground forces to subdue a foe. How much do you know about the military's ground assault vehicles?
How much does the M1 Abrams tank weigh?
The U.S. uses many LAV (Light Armored Vehicles) based on a design created in which country?
What's the maximum speed of the M109 Howitzer?
What is the crew size of the Paladin M109A7 artillery system?
What is the nickname of the M1 Assault Breacher Vehicle?
- the Shredder
- the Mangler
- the Monster
The U.S. Joint Light Tactical Vehicle program is meant to help replace which vehicle?
Which vehicle has a deployable bridge mounted on its top to help other vehicles traverse otherwise impassable areas?
- BAE Caiman
- M104 Wolverine
How many versions of the M1 Abrams tank have been deployed in service?
What's the approximate horsepower of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle?
What was a primary flaw of the Stryker armored vehicle when it was deployed to Afghanistan?
- too hot for crews in the desert environment
- poor handling on rough terrain
- too easy to disable with well-placed sniper rounds
For how long can the M58 Wolf Smoke Generator Carrier create a smoke screen during battle?
- About 3 hours
- About 90 minutes
- About 45 minutes
About how many M1 Abrams tanks have been constructed?
What's the approximate cost of the newest generation of Joint Light Tactical Vehicles?
- $450,000 each
- $1.6 million each
- $2 million each
What is the primary purpose of the M1131 Fire Support Vehicle?
- to put out fires on damaged vehicles and rescue the crews
- to track enemy targets
- to spray covering fire for other attack vehicles
The Buffalo MPRC armored vehicle is specifically designed to ward off what kind of enemy weapons?
- tank shells
What is the V-shaped hull of the Buffalo MPRC designed to do?
- deflect a mine blast straight back down towards the ground
- absorb a blast
- direct a mine blast away from the crew
What is one key ingredient that makes the M1 Abrams' armor harder to penetrate?
- depleted uranium
What task is the LAV-R vehicle designed to perform?
- vehicle recovery
- long-range reconnaissance
- It is equipped with anti-tank missiles.
How did the Stryker armored vehicle get its distinctive name?
- From two soldiers who died in combat
- The manufacturer wanted to emphasize the vehicle's strike capabilities.
- An Army general just thought it was a cool name.
What kind of weapon was mounted to the M132, which is now retired?
- four .50-caliber machine guns
- mine layer
Why is the armor for many mine-protected vehicles bolted onto the chassis instead of welded?
- It makes it easier to replace damaged armor.
- Huge bolts provide better overall strength than welds.
- Bolts allow the armor to flex during a blast.
In how many different camouflage patterns does the M3 Bradley come?
Which vehicle has become one of the most common since the second half of the 20th century?
- M113 armored personnel carrier
- AAVP assault amphibious vehicle
- M1126 infantry carrier vehicle
When did the first AAV (Assault Amphibious Vehicle) first go into service?
How many wheels are on the Stryker armored vehicle?
What does the Stryker armored vehicle do if its tire pressure is too low for a specific terrain?
- It automatically increases tire pressure.
- It tells the driver exactly what the pressure should be for a specific terrain.
- It deflates the tires.
How many grenade rounds are always ready for launch on the newest version of the Amphibious Assault Vehicle?
Why was a mount for a scout motorcycle removed from the Bradley Cavalry Fighting Vehicle?
- No one wanted to ride the motorcycle in a combat zone.
- The bike's gas tank was exposed to enemy fire.
- Crews kept screwing around on the motorcycle when they were supposed to be working.
The International MaxxPro, a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle, has a high ground clearance that makes it susceptible to what?
- air-exploding artillery
- radar detection
About how much does each Stryker armored vehicle cost?
- $5 million
- $7 million
- $10 million