Here's Looking at You: The Moroccan Traditions Quiz
An exotic, rather mysterious country, Morocco often seems to be a world apart. Let's see how much you know about this storied African country and its traditions.
Where, exactly, is Morocco?
- Southwestern Africa
- Northwestern Africa
- Northeastern Africa
What is the name of Morocco's indigenous people?
- French Arabs
When did the Arabs come to Morocco?
- 2nd century B.C.
- 3rd century A.D.
- 7th century A.D.
Which European country colonized Morocco?
How do most Moroccans identify themselves from a religious standpoint today?
- Sunni Muslim
- Shiite Muslim
What are two staple dishes in Moroccans' diets?
- couscous and lamb
- tagine and lamb kebobs
- harira and couscous
What is tagine?
- an earthenware vessel
- a Moroccan stew
- both of the above
What is probably the most popular drink in Morocco?
- mint tea
- Turkish coffee
How do Moroccans greet one another?
- kiss on the cheek
- shake hands and touch their hearts
What is the popular dress today for Moroccan women?
- Western wear
- robe and headscarf
- burqa (garment that covers everything)
What kind of clothing do Moroccan men typically wear?
- kaftan (long, loose shirt) and fez
- jeans and t-shirt
- Western wear or djellaba -- it doesn't matter
What is a babouche?
- leather slipper
What is one common feature of Moroccan architecture?
What are two signature elements in Moroccan design?
- geometric patterns and bold colors
- Islamic calligraphy and curved lines
- small, arched doorways and candles
Zellige is commonly used in Moroccan home décor. What is it?
- an intricate henna design
- ceramic tile
- a wispy curtain over a doorway
What is a common Moroccan decorative accessory?
- trio of earth-toned candles
- woven basket
How do Moroccans view time?
- They're very punctual.
- They're typically late.
- They make appointments according to the Islamic prayer schedule.
Souks can be found in every Moroccan city and town. What are they?
- small mosques
- open-air markets
How do Moroccans typically treat strangers?
What famous 20th-century movie was set in Morocco?
- "Casablanca "