The Most Addictive Substances on Earth Quiz
Hey, it's cool — you can stop at anytime. But take just one more quiz. It won't kill you.
Before we get into some of the substances we can't get enough of, let's establish some things about addiction. What is happening to your brain when you take drugs?
- The chemicals in drugs send abnormal messages to the brain.
- Natural neurotransmitters overwhelm the brain's reward system.
Dopamine is also present when:
- You're happy.
- You're eating.
When you're abusing drugs, dopamine or dopamine receptors:
- stay the same
What else happens when dopamine is decreased?
- You get a dry mouth.
- Your skin itches.
- You get unhappy in general.
Who is going to get addicted?
- A person whose parents were addicted to drugs.
- A person who sees a lot of drug use.
- No one is certain.
There has been some research that shows sugar:
- makes no difference as a diet additive
- is better for you than salt
- was preferable over cocaine to lab rats
A 2013 study argued that sex addiction was:
- actually love addiction
- not really an addiction
- surprisingly common
- can be addictive
- isn't addictive
- isn't addictive if you're an adult
Earlier marijuana use increases the chance of what?
What other unfortunate side effect might occur in adulthood with earlier marijuana use?
- low libido
- lower IQ
K2 and spice are:
- synthetic opioids
- synthetic cannaboids
- synthetic marijuana
Opioid prescription medicine is prescribed for:
More people in the U.S. die from opioid painkiller overdoses than:
- both combined
Adderall is a:
Some depressants are also used (and abused) as:
- sleeping pills
Codeine and promethazine are ingredients in what?
- purple drank
Alcohol addiction increases the risk of what cancer?
In 2012, how many Americans 18 or older were diagnosed with an alcohol use disorder?
- 2 percent
- 7 percent
- 14 percent
Methamphetamine use has been shown to:
- change how the brain functions
- make users dumb
- cause users to lose their looks
Anabolic steroids are often abused for:
- athletic performance
- to create a more winning smile
- increase the tan of those with light skin
- don't have an acute effect on the brain
- won't make you sad
- can't actually increase muscle mass
While they might not immediately affect you like other drugs, anabolic steroids will:
- eat a hole in your brain
- give you anxiety
- still affect your brain's chemicals and functioning, and long-term use will impact mood and behavior like traditional drugs.
Abusing steroids can also:
- cause male genitalia to shrink
- cause female facial hair growth
"Bath salts" are a group of drugs that chemically simulate a stimulant found in what plant?
A cocaine high is stronger if:
- it's snorted
- it's smoked
- Neither high is very strong.
Cocaine or crack can cause:
- nail biting
- cardiac arrest
Molly is the pure form of:
PCP is prescribed for:
- nothing, anymore
What drug causes one of every five deaths in the U.S. every year?
Tobacco killed how many people in the 20th century?
- 100 million
- 40 million
- 25 million