The Ultimate Multifunction Tools Quiz
The multifunction tool is a handyman's dream, with a number of essential tools enclosed in one small convenient unit. Check out our quiz to learn more about these fascinatingly versatile implements.
Who invented the first multifunction tool and when?
- Black & Decker, 1932
- Karl Elsener, 1891
- Tim Leatherman, 1972
Why was it called the Swiss Army Knife?
- Elsener gave the patent to the Swiss Army.
- The original name was too short for such a versatile tool.
- This name was given because the Swiss name could not be pronounced by American soldiers.
What was the next major multifunction tool?
- American Multitool
- Australian Fisherman's Friend
How did this tool get its name?
- It was developed for use in the leather industry.
- It comes with a leather case.
- Leatherman invented it.
Other than wanting to make money, why did Leatherman invent his multifunction tool?
- He wanted something more suited to handymen.
- He had to justify a research grant.
- The Swiss Army stopped making knives.
What was the major innovation?
- didn't use a red cover
- addition of pliers
- tools were drop-forged
What is the official name of the Swiss Army knife's manufacturer?
- Offiziermesser Ltd
- Swiss Multifunction Tools
- Victorinox Swiss Army
What are the two basic styles of multifunction tools?
- pocket and belt versions
- Swiss Army and Leatherman
- steel and ceramic
Who owns the company that makes the Swiss Army knife?
- Swiss Army
- American Tools Inc.
- Elsener family
How was the Leatherman received at first?
- Very few units were sold at first until television ads boosted sales
- First year mail order sales brought in a surprising 30,000 orders.
- Not too well at first, until they were given as prizes at country fairs.
Although the Swiss Army knife has been to the North Pole, Mount Everest and on a space shuttle, where can you absolutely not take your faithful companion?
- magnet factory
- the Leatherman factory
- airport security
What is the major purpose of the Rescue Tool?
- rescue trapped animals
- escape from a disabled car
- open jammed elevator doors
What does the Rescue Tool offer for dealing with shatterproof glass?
- large one-handed blade
- wire stripper
- disk saw
And just what do you think a Swiss Flash is?
- removable miniature camera and flash
- extremely flat pocket knife
- pocket knife with a flash drive
If you were given a Giant Knife, made by Wenger, what would you have received?
- the ultimate multifunction tool
- a sophisticated tool designed for fishermen
- a multifunction with a wide selection of blades
In the category of tools, just what is a Squirt?
- pocket knife with a tear gas container
- keychain sized multifunction tool
- self-lubricating glass cutter
What are the main implements of the Freestyle CX?
- laser pointer, pliers and scissors
- flash drive and a serrated-edge knife
- pliers, wire cutters and a knife
Has Hollywood shown any interest in multifunction tools?
- Not at all, movie heroes always seem to use hunting knives.
- Television and movie heroes have used multifunction tools effectively.
- Swiss Army regulations forbid the use of their products for entertainment.
In a military context, is there a difference between a black oxide and a stainless steel finish of multifunction tools?
- Stainless steel matches other standard military tools.
- Black oxide tends to impede performance of the tool.
- Black oxide does not reflect light.
A Turtle 8 is on sale at the local store. What are you looking at?
- a multi-tool that looks like a turtle
- a multi-tool designed for fishermen
- a multi-tool for aquarium repair