The Ultimate Pacific Ocean Quiz
Everybody agrees the Pacific is the big daddy of Earth's oceanic family, but how well do you know this enigmatic ocean? Test your sea legs by taking this quiz.
Who named the Pacific Ocean?
- Ferdinand Magellan
- James Cook
- Charles Darwin
What percentage of the Earth's surface does the Pacific cover?
- about a quarter
- about a third
- about half
How many islands are in the Pacific Ocean?
- about 5,000
- about 15,000
- about 25,000
How salty is the Pacific?
- less salty than the Atlantic
- more salty than the Atlantic
- about the same
How deep is the deepest point in the Pacific Ocean?
- about 3 miles (5 kilometers) deep
- about 5 miles (8 kilometers) deep
- about 7 miles (11 kilometers) deep
How often does El Niño occur?
- about every two to seven years
- about every five to 10 years
- about every seven to 12 years
How much of the world's coral reefs are found in the Pacific Ocean?
- more than 60 percent
- more than 75 percent
- more than 90 percent
How many of the world's volcanoes are located along the renowned "Ring of Fire"?
- around 40 percent of the world's volcanoes
- around 60 percent of the world's volcanoes
- around 80 percent of the world's volcanoes
Could the Pacific ever run out of fish?
- not possible
- it's hard to say
- get ready to say goodbye to your fish sticks
How big is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
- comparable to Maine
- comparable to Texas
- comparable to Alaska