How much do you know about pandas and the National Zoo's giant panda cub Tai Shan? Take this quiz and test your knowledge of Tai Shan, Mei Xiang and Tian Tian.
What does the name "Tai Shan" mean?
- Peaceful mountain
- Strong, powerful
- Dragon mountain
How much did Tai Shan weigh at birth?
- Three to five ounces
- One pound
- Five pounds
- 20 pounds
During the first few week’s of the baby's life, Tai Shan's mother, Mei Xiang, would only leave him alone to:
- Eat bamboo
- Visit Tai Shan's father, Tian Tian
- Get some fresh air outside
- She didn't leave her baby alone.
How is Tai Shan's father, Tian Tian, involved in the life of his cub?
- Tian Tian and Mei Xiang share the parental responsibilities
- Tian Tian cares more for his son than Mei Xiang
- Tian Tian spends some time with Tai Shan, but not as much as Mei Xiang
- Tian Tian is not involved with his baby at all.
In the first six months of life, a baby panda eats:
- Milk from his mother
- Sugar cane
- Nothing. Baby pandas do not eat until they are older.
How many hours do pandas spend eating bamboo each day?
- Less than an hour
- An hour or so, three times a day
- Five to 10 hours a day
- 10 to 16 hours a day
How can you tell the difference between Tian Tian and Mei Xiang?
- Tian Tian has a goatee.
- Tian Tian is much smaller than Mei Xiang.
- Mei Xiang has a heart-shaped spot on her chest.
- Tian Tian has black markings on his feet that resemble socks.