The Ultimate Pelican Bill vs. Belly Quiz
The pelican is an awkward looking bird with an incredibly long bill and a pouch. Take this quiz to find our more about that curious pouch and how it's used.
What is the most distinctive feature of the pelican?
- pouch under jaw
- long beak
How many species of pelicans are there?
- seven or eight
- 10 or 11
- 12 to 14
How much can a large pelican weigh?
- 10 pounds (4.55 kilograms)
- 20 pounds (9 kilograms)
- 30 pounds (13.61 kilograms)
On which continent do pelicans not live?
Why is the brown pelican unusual?
- dive headfirst into the water to feed
- swoop down and snatch fish with their claws
- stand on one leg
How do most other pelicans hunt fish?
- by chasing the fish until they are tired
- by grabbing them with their claws
- by herding them into shallow water and scooping them up
What distinguishes pelicans from other species of bird?
- six toes
- four webbed toes
- two large webbed toes
What is another distinctive feature?
- breath through their mouths
- 270 degree field of vision
- teeth in upper jaw
What is the hook at the end of the upper mandible (jaw) used for?
- feeding its young
- essential part of courting
- grabbing slippery fish
After scooping up fish, what does the pelican have to do before eating?
- kills the fish
- empties water from pouch
- creates vacuum in pouch to avoid swallowing air
What does a pelican do with a particularly large fish?
- maneuvers fish to go down head first
- splits fish in half with its hook
- squeezes fish until its bones break then swallows it
Which pelican has the largest bill?
- Dalmatian pelican
- Australian pelican
- Texas blue-breast pelican
Which has a greater capacity, the pouch or stomach?
- about the same
What is the capacity of the pouch?
- 1 gallon (3.78 liters)
- 2 gallons (7.56 liters)
- 3 gallons (11.36 liters)
Do pelicans eat anything besides fish?
- mostly fish and other water creatures
- eat anything they find
- only fish
What caused some species of pelicans in the U.S. to dwindle?
- polluted drinking water
- pesticides harmed the eggs
- too much hunting
How does a pelican become a victim of piracy?
- The pelican with a pouch full of water and fish can be knocked off balance and have the fish snatched.
- A bird can peck the pelican on the head and grab a fish when the pelican protests.
- During the process of emptying water from the pouch, the bill is open.
What do pelicans do during courtship?
- The males bring offerings of fish.
- Males flap their pouches and clap their bills.
- Females and males rub pouches together.
Where does the pelican store excess food?
- recess in the pouch
How do pelicans feed baby chicks?
- cut up fish with their hooks
- regurgitate partially digested fish
- seek out small fish