Pigeon is the name of a family of quiet, gentle wild birds found all over the world. Doves are white, domestic, smaller members of the pigeon family and are considered symbols of peace. Take this quiz and learn more about this bird family.
How many species of pigeons and doves are there?
Where are pigeons found?
- mainly in Europe
- mostly in the Americas
- everywhere except the Arctic and Antarctic
What does the small white domestic pigeon symbolize?
In most cultures, what do pairs of doves symbolize?
Where does this symbolism come from?
- This comes from ancient Greek legends.
- They are so gentle and friendly.
- They seem affectionate in courtship.
What former member of the pigeon family gave rise to a common expression referring to something no longer existing?
- passenger pigeon
- rock dove
How big are doves?
- 3 to 6 inches (7.6 to 15 cm)
- 4 to 8 inches (10 to 20 cm)
- 6 to 12 inches (15 to 30 cm)
What is the size of the largest pigeon?
- 12 inches (30 cm)
- 22 inches (55.8 cm)
- 33 inches (84 cm)
Except for size, what is one of the distinct differences between pigeons and doves?
- Pigeons often have colored plumage.
- Most doves have pointed tails.
- Pigeons have longer legs.
What do pigeons usually eat?
- grain, fruits, berries
- grain and worms
- flying insects
What type of dove is usually more colorful?
How are the flying abilities of pigeons?
- slow and of limited range
- strong, swift and graceful flyers
- differ according to season
When thirsty, how do pigeons drink?
- suck up the water
- immerse their bills in the water
- tongues lick up water
Who incubates the pigeon's eggs?
What are newly hatched birds fed during their first few days?
- regurgitated grain
- pigeon's milk
When are the baby birds able to leave the nest?
- three to five weeks
- five to seven weeks
- eight to ten weeks
What is one ability pigeons are famous for?
- always flying in flocks
- mating for life
- homing instincts
Which is the biggest member of the pigeon family?
- brown band-tailed pigeon
- Victoria crowned pigeon
- wood pigeon
Except for the legendary dodo, what other pigeon is now extinct?
- passenger pigeon
What were pigeons used for since ancient Egyptian times?
- carrying messages