The Ultimate Pike Fishing Quiz
Pike are big aggressive fish found all around the world. After you take this quiz you'll have a better idea how to catch them.
What are holarctic fish?
- They belong to the holarc sub-species.
- They are found in the northern freshwaters.
- They are fish that can be found in the arctic and Antarctic regions oceans.
If an angler tells you he has caught a northern, what does he refer to?
- He has identified a north moving school of fish.
- He has caught fish coming from the north.
- He has landed a northern pike.
What size can pike commonly reach in larger lakes and rivers?
- 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms)
- 14 pounds (6.4 kilograms)
- 18 pounds (8.2 kilograms)
What are the eating habits of pike in spring?
- They only eat smaller fish.
- They eat anything.
- They don't eat much except for easy prey.
Is there any drawback to using live bait?
- It can be very odious.
- It is regarded as the amateur's way of fishing.
- It's sometimes illegal.
How do you determine the size of bait to use?
- Depends on the size of your prey.
- Bigger bait is always better.
- Smaller bait seems less suspicious to the pike.
Why do some anglers use two hooks in a single bait?
- They are trying to catch two fish with one bait.
- Pike try to snatch the bait from the end and not the middle.
- Pike spit out the prey and later swallow it head first.
How do you ensure hooking a pike?
- Pull immediately you feel something on the line.
- Use live bait with two hooks.
- Wait for the second pull on the line.
Is live bait the only way to catch big pike?
- Pike are only interested in what appears to be alive.
- Pike go for anything living or dead.
- For big pike you need at least a small perch.
What can you do if live bait makes you squeamish?
- Don't go fishing.
- Try fly fishing.
- Use artificial bait.
Where will you find the pike?
- deep cool waters
- calm vegetated waters
- shallow waters
What is one of the most effective lures for pike fishing?
- spoon lure
How does it work?
- The metallic color attracts the pike.
- It wobbles in the water.
- The shape of the lure appears to the pike to be a fish head.
When should you cast your lure?
- only when you see the pike
- in the target area
- before the target area
In the summer where will you usually find the pike?
- deep cool water
- shallow warm water
- shallow cool water
Why should you vary the speed that you troll?
- makes the lure more stable
- makes it wobble more
- prevents catching it on vegetation
Which is the more difficult technique of fishing?
- live bait
- spoon fishing
- fly fishing
What is the secret of successful fly fishing?
- flies used
- type of lure
What type of water is fly fishing designed for?
- deeper water
- shallow water
- fast flowing rivers
How does the fly attract the pike?
- Pike are less suspicious of something jumping in and out of the water.
- Flies are regarded as a delicacy by the pike.
- The rapid motion and colors provoke an aggressive response and desire to strike.