The Ultimate Pike Spawning Quiz
If you want to improve your chances of a good pike catch, concentrate your efforts on the spawning season. To learn more about the spawning habits of pike, take this quiz.
When is the best time for pike fishing?
- before spawning season when the pike seek mates
- during spawning season
- while females care for their young
Where do pike spawn?
- any warm safe area
- cool deep waters
- in their usual spawning waters
Do the females attract the males to mate with them?
- they don't mate
- they release a few eggs to tempt the male
- they swim in an enticing manner
When do the females release their eggs?
- while rubbing heads together with the males
- friction from rubbing abdomens with the males causes release of the eggs
- after their abdomens are nudged by the males' tails
How are the eggs inseminated?
- Male releases seminal fluid by brushing against the eggs.
- Seminal fluid is released around the female.
- Male transfers seminal fluid when he rubs against the female.
How many eggs can be released by the female?
Why is spawning season good for fishing?
- concentrations of spawners
- pike looking to spawn are hungry and looking for food
- in spawning season the pike swim slower and are less alert
What is the purpose of milt?
- fluid released by female to attract males
- sustenance for young pike in the first few days after hatching
- seminal fluid
How do the eggs hatch?
- settle on ocean floor
- attach to vegetation
- continue to float until they hatch
What affects the time taken for hatching?
- water temperature
- water pressure
- density of the vegetation
For how long do the females care for their young?
- until the eggs hatch
- until the young can swim and eat on their own
- they don't
What do the females do after spawning?
- eat anything they can swallow
- eat sparingly and mainly small plants
- become hyperactive and move away from the area as rapidly as possible
What do both male and female pike do before spawning?
- eat sparingly so they will be more attractive
- eat as much as they can
- eat more protein or small marine animals
Is there a problem fishing during the pre-spawning season?
- difficult to catch the fish since they are too busy eating
- the pike are so quick they take the bait without getting hooked
- it's illegal in certain states
Which females release more eggs?
- bigger females
- more sexually mature females
- completely individual and not dependant on age or size
How do the newly hatched pike attach themselves to vegetation during growing and while resting?
- hold on by their mouths
- by their tails
- a sticky patch on their heads
When does spawning season begin?
- in the spring
- once water reaches 40 degrees F.
- depends on availability of food in the pre-spawning period
Who spends the longer period in the spawning area?
- both stay for the same time
Where do you find the largest pike?
What is the best bait to use during pre-spawning?
- live bait
- artificial bait
- any bait