The Not-so-cheesy Pizza Quiz
What do you know about Italy's national dish? If you said everything, you're already wrong because nobody calls it Italy's national dish. Grab a slice and give a salut while you test your pie wisdom.
What's the most appropriate time to celebrate pizza?
- in the morning, with a cold slice
- as soon as it's out of the wood-fired oven
What animal was milked for early mozzarella cheese?
- young llama
- water buffalo
Pizza places touted as "Ray's" are ubiquitous in New York City. What was the name of the original "Ray's" owner?
- Ray. Come on.
- Horton L. O'Dougherty
What pizza company is the most widely successful in the United States?
Who invented pizza?
- Are you kidding me? The Italians, and don't you fuggedaboutit.
What pizza topping carries a poisonous legend?
- the word "pizza" itself
What Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle told the pizza delivery man, "You put anchovies on this thing and you're in BIG TROUBLE, OK?"
What can a regular pizza tin do for you (besides serve you piping hot pie)?
- save you fuel
- make a decent shield in battle
- provide a decent sled
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia ruled that this "shouldn't be called pizza" in 2014.
- pizza without tomato sauce
- gluten-free pizza
- Chicago-style deep dish
Whose name was given to a standard tomato, basil and mozzarella pizza?
- the first pope
- the pie maker's mother
- the former princess of Italy
When did pizza really take off in the U.S.?
- in the early 19th century, when mozzarella was said to prevent lice
- in the 1950s, when veterans came home wanting more of the stuff
- in the 1980s, when skater kids started ordering it at skate parks
What does the most expensive pie in the world NOT include?
- wild truffles
How are researchers finding ways to make pizza healthier?
- increasing antioxidant levels in dough
- adding vitamins to artichoke hearts
- taking out the gluten
What is NOT an effective tool for getting rid of old pizza boxes?
- litter box
- wedding favor
- cement molds
When making pizza, what does "proofing" refer to?
- finding the correct answer in the pizza-to-baking-time equation
- allowing the dough to rise
- tasting an edge of crust to ensure it's properly crisp
We already learned the Greeks invented the pizza precursor. What other popular pizza tradition did a Greek person bring us?
- Hawaiian pizza
- thin crust pizza
- deep dish pizza
What pizza idea was so good that someone patented it in 1987?
- white-sauce pizza
- stuffed-crust pizza
- hamburger pizza
What famous pizza name is responsible for the popularity of frozen pizza?
- Red Baron
What is the most popular pizza topping in America?
- Come on -- it's pepperoni or I'll buy you a slice.
- plain cheese
Sure, pepperoni is popular in the United States, but what can you get in a Japanese Pizza Hut?
- pufferfish pizza
- tuna pizza
- gummy candy pizza