The Ultimate Ranch Hands Quiz
Ranching, as one of the great traditions of America, conjures up scenes of cowboys rounding up the cattle for market. Take this quiz and see if you have what it takes to be a ranch hand.
What is one of America's most enduring traditions?
- ice cream
Where were the roots of today's ranches?
What are vaqueros?
- cattle ranches
- Mexican cowboys
- stray cattle
When did the American settlers begin driving the vaqueros out?
What happened in 1861 when many of the settlers went off to fight in the Civil War?
- The vaqueros took care of the cattle.
- Cattle herds diminished.
- Cattle herds roamed freely and grew larger.
How did ranchers keep track of their cattle?
- ankle bands
- ID tags
What was the result of more and more farmers raising cattle?
- more sophisticated branding
- pastures became overgrazed
- lower market prices
What did the ranchers do in response to this situation?
- turned to crop growing
- limited cattle production
- fenced off their land
How are cattle transported to market today?
- horseback cattle drives
- truck and trailer
Is a ranch hand the same as a cowboy?
- different jobs
- ranch hand is used today for all ranch workers
What are the usual requirements for a ranch hand?
- green card since most applicants are migrants
- good health and readiness to work hard
- high school diploma and experience with animals or agriculture
What range of salaries is offered to ranch hands?
- $12,000 to $20,000
- $20,000 to $30,000
- $30,000 to $40,000
What kind of unusual benefits are sometime offered to ranch hands?
- free supply of farm produce
- free use of horses
- free beef
Is there a Web site dedicated to connecting potential employers and employees for regular working ranches?
What is the most common phrase used in wanted ads for ranch hands?
- jack of all trades
- fit and hardworking
- dedicated and motivated
What is animal husbandry?
- monitoring breeding procedures
- artificial insemination of animals
- caring for the animals
How relevant is physical strength on a modern ranch?
- Mechanical abilities are more relevant than strength.
- Physical strength is definitely relevant.
- Strength is only relevant for the beginner ranch hand who does all the physical labor.
How much weight does a standard job description require a ranch hand to be able to lift?
- 75 pounds (34 kilograms)
- 100 pounds (45 kilograms)
- 150 pounds (68 kilograms)
What is the main activity for a ranch hand in spring?
- general maintenance
- moving cattle from pasture to pasture
When are irrigation chores usually performed?