Money MIA: Recovering Lost Savings Bonds
Over $16 billion of unclaimed savings bonds lies in the Treasury's coffers. What do you know about finding lost bonds?
How much does the United States Treasury hold in unclaimed savings bonds?
- $16 billion
- $45 million
- $10 million
When were U.S. savings bonds first introduced?
- during the Revolutionary War
What was an early nickname for U.S. savings bonds?
- pretty bonds
- baby bonds
- posh bonds
About how many families bought U.S. savings bonds during World War II?
- a million
- tens of millions
What does an average successful hunt for unclaimed bonds yield?
What is the largest amount of unclaimed bonds belonging to a single owner?
- $15,000 dollars' worth
- $100,000 dollars' worth
- $2.5 million dollars' worth
What's one thing that is NOT a U.S. savings bond feature?
- You can buy them for someone else.
- You can sell them to someone else.
- You can cash them anytime after 12 months.
What are the two most common types of savings bonds available in 2011?
- Series EE and I Bonds
- railroad bonds
- mining bonds
What is the penalty for redeeming sales bonds before five years?
- You are charged $98.
- There is no penalty.
- You are penalized three months of interest.
What does a private bond fund?
- private mortgages
- All bonds are public.
- Private bonds raise capital for a company to expand.
Do private bonds offer ownership in a company?
- only if you ask for a higher interest rate
What is a bond comparable to?
- using coupons
- giving the government a loan
- paying taxes
What is an undeliverable bond?
- a fake bond
- one that has been returned to the government because its owner cannot be found
- a bond that has not been sold
What does it mean when a bond has matured?
- It's not worth anything.
- It doesn't laugh at dirty jokes.
- The bond has reached its time limit and has stopped gaining interest.
What is a likely scenario for a person to have an unclaimed bond?
- You just forgot you had one.
- Your grandma bought one for you when you were born.
- Both are correct.
What bonds can you look up on Treasury Hunt?
- private bonds
- all savings bonds
- mature or undeliverable bonds.
What will no longer be sold after Jan. 1, 2012?
- savings bonds
- paper savings bonds
- private savings bonds
What improvements will all-electronic bonds bring?
- It will save the U.S. government money and lessen the number of unclaimed bonds.
- They're less time-consuming.
- They come with better service.
What is a common savings bond fraud?
- buying railroad bonds to fund transportation projects
- signing your name to another person's bond and saying it's yours
- You can't forge or do any sort of scam when it comes to U.S. savings bonds.
What's a great way to keep track of your bonds?
- the Savings Bond Magical Thinking
- the Savings Bond Fairy
- the Savings Bond Wizard