Red-light cameras may have saved some lives, but they've also stirred up more controversy than any other traffic control device on the roads to date. Test your red-light camera knowledge with our quiz.
Americans love their cars -- and their traffic lights…? The car first became popular soon after the turn of last century. How long after that was the first electric traffic light was installed?
- Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1912
- Cleveland, Ohio, in 1914
- Detroit, Mich., in 1920
Some people agree with red-light cameras, and others do not. Which states listed below have banned red-light cameras?
- New Mexico and Georgia
- New York and Pennsylvania
- New Hampshire and West Virginia
What is the dilemma zone?
- It's a 10-foot (3-meter) circle around the display table at the local pastry shop.
- It's about 20 feet (6.1 meters) from the last piece of candy in the office candy dish.
- An unspecified zone of pavement before a red light when a driver must figure out if he or she can run the yellow or wait for the red.
How much did the town of Cary, N.C., allegedly collect in red-light ticket revenue between 2004 and 2009?
What is the average time of a yellow light?
- 4 seconds
- 1 second
- 3 seconds
If 99 of the country's largest cities would install red-light cameras how many lives could be saved over a five-year period?
- More than 650
- More than 500
- More than 800
What types of accident do red-light cameras help reduce the most?
- Rollover accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Porterhouse accidents
What type of accident do red-light cameras supposedly increase?
- Side-by-side accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Rear-quarter panel accidents
What is the term used for someone who violates a law -- in this case, a traffic law?
What are the two main reasons red-light camera opponents cite for not using the cameras?
- The cameras are radioactive and my photo in the camera never looks good.
- You're infringing on my privacy and the cities are only using it to raise money.
- It was yellow, I swear, and I can't seem to recall that intersection.