The Ultimate Relaxation Quiz
What's the point of worrying? From learning relaxation techniques to discovering some strange ways to destress, it's time to chill, bro, and take a load off with this relaxation quiz.
So let's talk about what destressing does to your body. What's one lesser-known physical reaction to relaxation?
- Blood flow increases to muscles.
- Your pupils dilate.
- Your blood pressure soars.
Relaxation techniques can include:
- visualization, breath control, meditation
- exercise, listening to music, massage
- all those things and more
Why would tensing muscles progressively help a person relax?
- increases lactic acid
- increases awareness of physical sensations
- releases hormones
Visualization usually involves:
- mentally imagining a calm scenario
- using your senses to create feelings of calm
What is autogenic training?
- using drugs to relax
- training your body to relax to words or cues
- training your body to respond to peaceful music
What's one difference between transcendental meditation (TM) and mindful meditation?
- You have to be certified to practice TM.
- Mindful meditation is better for you.
- TM usually involves repeating a mantra while meditating.
What is an element of qigong?
- posture and balance
What is the basis of tai chi?
- martial arts
Yoga is often used for exercise, but includes what meditative philosophy?
- to find inner peace
- to control your temper
- to focus on the moment
Emotional Freedom Technique is promoted as "psychological acupressure" which can relieve stress, among a whole host of other ailments. What does it physically entail?
- weeping openly
- wearing tinfoil hats
- tapping on parts of your body with your fingers
What does ASMR stand for?
- A Seriously Mesmerizing Relaxation
- Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response
- A Short Massage Reflex
But what IS ASMR?
- A therapy technique that focuses on your head and feet.
- Sounds or movements that cause relaxation or even "tingles."
What is ganbanyoku?
- laying on hot stones to relax
What is cupping?
- Cups are put on the skin with suction.
- having someone cup your face in their hands for relaxation
- eating a cup of coconut oil to relieve stress
Gently pouring a liquid over the forehead is a relaxation technique in what therapy?
- Cognitive Behavioral
So-called Chinese stress balls — designed to relax the hand and even the mind — are traditionally called what?
- medicine balls
- baoding balls
- ring a ding balls
Want to sleep better? Try this Japanese product:
- Ambien gummy bears
- milk fortified with melatonin from well-rested cows
- chocolate with small doses of crushed opioids
Want to stay rested, but not subject your face to the cruel cool air? Try this:
- a head tent that covers your head from the neck up
- a face mask
- a blanket
What's another real-life stress-busting product that you can actually buy for a mere $167?
- Bubble wrap. $167 worth of bubble wrap.
- a bed that smells like lavender
- a human-shaped pillow that "communicates" with hugs
What is inhaled when you use the Relaxtick to wind down?
A spa in Israel offers a massage from what unlikely masseuse?
- an octopus
- a rat
- a bunch of snakes
Maybe buying a product to use or even getting a facial is too much work for relaxation. Try this easy-peasy path to relaxation:
- sitting in a salt cave
- watching Netflix
- staring at the ceiling
A 2001 study followed 48 people with high blood pressure and high stress jobs. What lowered their blood pressure?
- washing their pillowcases once a week
- eating chips between meals
- adopting a dog or cat
What can Germans take advantage of to lower stress levels?
- lots of beer
- a hotline they can call to yell, scream and curse without judgment
- a language that sounds aggressive
Eating complex carbs might actually relax you by:
- boosting serotonin
- keeping you warm
- making you chew rhythmically
- don't release serotonin
- release more serotonin
- release serotonin that doesn't last as long
What vitamin has been shown to lower hormonal stress levels?
- vitamin K
- vitamin D
- vitamin C
People who drank what beverage four times a day for six weeks were found to have lower levels of cortisol than those who drank a placebo?
- black tea
Calcium has been shown to help with symptoms of:
- general crabbiness
If you want a calm, anxiety-relieving stone to wear, you might choose:
- red calcite
- red Jasper