Quiz: Could you Repair your Refrigerator?
Repairing a refrigerator may be simpler than you thought. Take this quiz to see how much you know about repairing a refrigerator.
Where in a fridge is the refrigerant liquid cooled?
What does "frost free" refer to in a refrigerator or freezer?
- keeping ice cream soft
- preventing food from getting freezer burn
- removing frost from inside the unit
Why can a capacitor be dangerous?
- It can store electricity.
- It can make your refrigerator likely to tip over.
- It can get very hot.
Where would you usually find the motor of a refrigerator?
- the bottom section of the unit
- the middle section of the unit
- the top section of the unit
What is a refrigerator gasket usually made of?
What can you use to test whether your gasket is creating a good seal?
- plastic bag
- dollar bill
How should you prepare a replacement gasket before putting it on your refrigerator?
- Put it inside the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Heat it with a hair dryer and stretch it out.
- Leave it in the same room as the fridge for 24 hours.
If the door won't seal because of a hinge problem, what is the simplest approach to fixing it?
- adjusting the fridge level
- tightening the door hinges
- loosening the door hinges
What can you use to keep the door from sagging?
How is the refrigerator light activated?
- a motion sensor outside the door
- a motion sensor inside the door
- a switch in the door
What tool is used to test whether the light switch is working?
- jumper cables
- volt/ohm meter (VOM)
The limit switch is associated with what refrigerator function?
- frost-free feature
If the blades of the refrigerator fan become bent, what should you do?
- Try to straighten them.
- Buy a new fan.
- Call a professional.
What is a likely cause of the compressor not running?
- not enough gas inside
- refrigerator door left open
- faulty defrost timer
When testing the function of the condenser fan, what should the volt/ohm meter (VOM) read?
- 50 to 200 ohms
- more than 200 ohms
What should you use to clean the drain ports?
What can be the problem with having a rubber drain hose?
- It can crack.
- It doesn't conduct electricity.
- It can become moldy.
If there is water on the floor next to your refrigerator, what is the likely problem?
- The water line to the automatic ice maker is broken.
- The drain pan may be tipped or broken.
- You spilled a glass of water next to the refrigerator.
What is usually the cause of an automatic ice maker malfunction?
- The water line is broken.
- The water isn't getting cold enough to freeze.
- The strainer is blocked.
What sort of smell does refrigerator coolant have?