Quiz: Do you know how to Repair a Toilet?
Although usually reliable, a toilet can malfunction. Learning how to repair a toilet is easy. Save money, time and inconvenience by repairing a toilet yourself.
What is the most common problem with the toilet system?
- running out of toilet paper
- inadequate lighting
Is continuously running water in the toilet a problem?
- No, the running water cleanses the toilet bowl.
- No, it helps prevent pipes from clogging.
- Yes, you are wasting water and money.
Can toilet seats be replaced?
- Yes, it's easy.
- Yes, but it takes a long time.
- No, the seat is a permanent part of the toilet.
What is a common problem when trying to remove an old seat?
- the smell
- sentimental attachment to the old seat
- corroded or rusted nuts
What can you apply to loosen corroded nuts and bolts?
- penetrating oil
- boiling water
What could cause the water in the tank to flow continuously?
- There is not enough water in the tank.
- The ball cock valve does not shut off the water.
- The drain is clogged.
If the toilet does not flush adequately, what could be the cause?
- The float ball is misaligned.
- The float ball contains water.
- The tank ball falls back before enough water leaves the tank.
How would you fix a misaligned float ball?
- Bend the float rod to adjust the position of the float ball.
- Remove the water from the float ball.
- Replace the washers in the float ball assembly.
When the ball cock valve does not operate properly, what could the result be?
- condensation at bowl-tank connection
- a whistling tank
- blockage in drain
What is the probable cause of moisture around the fixture?
- clogged drain
- restricted water supply
If oil does not work, what could you use to remove the corroded bolts holding the toilet seat in place?
- hammer and chisel
- propane torch
What's the most common way of clearing a clogged toilet?
- Flush repeatedly.
- Use a plunger.
- Pour some liquid drain cleaner in the toilet bowl.
If there is insufficient water in the bowl to cover the plunger's suction cup, what should you do?
- Flush the toilet.
- Use a plunger with a smaller suction cup.
- Pour some water from a cup into the bowl so it covers the plunger.
What is a plumber's snake?
- thin vacuum tube
- specially trained underwater snake
- flexible wire
What happens when you push the handle on the tank?
- The tank ball is raised, releasing the water.
- A vacuum is caused, forcing the water out.
- The float ball is forced down and gravity pulls the water down.
What's the first thing you should do to see why water flows continuously from the tank?
- Turn off the water.
- Lift up the float arm.
- Flush the toilet with the water supply turned off.
What's the purpose of the tank ball?
- balances the float ball
- indicates the amount of water in the tank
- closes the opening through which the water flows
What does the overflow tube do?
- diverts excess water from the tank
- helps conserve water
- keeps the tank full
What problem could a bent lift wire cause?
- whistling in the tan
- an overflow of water from the tank
- a leak from a misaligned tank ball
Why would you consider installing a temperator valve?
- to flush with warm water
- to prevent condensation from forming on the tank
- to keep the toilet seat warm