From Pricy Fungi to Japanese Beef: The Ridiculously Expensive Ingredients Quiz
Gourmet cooking can involve many expensive ingredients. How well do you know your way around an upscale cook's pantry? Find out by taking this quiz.
Chilean sea bass is also known as what type of fish?
- Patagonian toothfish
Which country produces most of the world's vanilla ?
- the United States
How many saffron flowers does it take to produce 1 pound of the spice?
Wiener schnitzels are named after what European city?
True or false: Truffle oil is made with truffles.
- Yes, but the chocolate kind.
Does Kobe beef only come from Japan?
- No, but Kobe beef in Japan is different than Kobe beef in other countries.
In what country did cardamom originate?
True or false: Cod is found in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
- Cod is only found in the Arctic Ocean.
Veal is what type of animal?
True or false: Balsamic vinegar is often treated like fine wine.
- It comes in a glass bottle, but that's the only similarity.
True or false: Cooking wine CANNOT be substituted for regular wine.
- It depends brand of cooking wine.
True or false: Beluga caviar is easy to import from Russia.
- It depends of which area of Russia you're importing it from.
True or false: True vanilla comes from vanilla beans, which are grown in pods.
- Some vanilla comes from pods, but it can also be made from plant roots.
Truffle hunters use ____ to find the tasty and expensive fungus.
Which type of beef can you use in a recipe instead of Kobe?
- Black Angus
- USDA Prime
- ground chuck
True or false: Farmed salmon is a better alternative than wild salmon.
- It depends how the fish is farmed.
True or false: Balsamic vinegar is only used in salad dressing.
True or false: Wagyu is the catch-all word for all Japanese cattle.
- Wagyu refers to both Japanese and Chinese cattle.
How can you improve the flavor of a lesser grade caviar?
- Add water.
- Add salt.
- Add lemon juice.
True or false: When cooking, non-alcoholic substitutes for wine include chicken broth and grape juice.
- This only works when cooking vegetarian dishes.