SD cards can sock away gigabytes of data like nobody's business. They're small and reliable, perfect for digital cameras, smartphones and other portable electronics. Test your knowledge of these flash-memory wonders.
Who develops and maintains the Secure Digital memory card standards?
- The SD Association
An SD card is a solid-state device. What does that mean?
- It has no moving parts, relying entirely on electrical circuits.
- It is entirely state-of-the-art.
- It has only one component.
What sizes are SD cards available in?
- standard SD and microSD
- standard SD, miniSD and microSD
- There's only one standard SD size; other sizes aren't following the official SD standard.
The terms SD, SDHC and SDXC refer to what SD card feature?
SDXC cards come in which sizes?
- miniSD and microSD
- standard SD and microSD
- standard SD only
True or False: In SD cards, the Speed Class standard and the UHS Speed Class standard are not compatible.
True or False: SD card speed is an important factor in the quality of video recording and playback.
True or False: The Media Identifier and Media Key Block (MKB) used to protect data by CPRM are saved to the SD card's FAT filesystem.
What technology is behind the secure part of Secure Digital cards?
- A write-protection lock on the side
CPRM technology is part of the SD card standards. What does CPRM stand for?
- Copy Protection for Rewritable Media
- Copyright Protection for Recordable Media
- Content Protection for Recordable Media
True or False: The write-protection lock on the side of an SD card permanently locks the file system, making it read-only and preventing any further changes to the data on the card.
Which of the following is the smallest-sized SD card with the largest capacity?
What is the maximum speed associated with Speed Class 2?
- 12.5 MB per second
- 25 MB per second
- 312 MB per second
True or False: A microSD card can be used in a larger SD card slot.
What method does the SD Association recommend for formatting an SD card?
- Use special software specific to SD cards.
- Use disk management utilities on whatever computer you're using.
- Only the original manufacturer can format an SD card.
According to flash memory creator Toshiba, how may write/erase cycles can the flash memory technology in an SD card reader go through in its lifetime?
True or False: Any SD card that fits in the SD card reader of your device should be compatible with that device.
True or False: You can use an SD card reader to add a Bluetooth radio to your laptop computer.
What standard covers using an SD card reader slot for plugging in other kinds of devices, like wireless radios and TV tuners?
- The SD Association hasn't developed a standard for this.
Which of these products uses the SDIO standard to add a Wi-Fi radio to your camera and the ability to upload photos directly to the Web?
- Eye-Fi card
- Socket Mobile Go Wi-Fi!