Designing In Small Spaces Quiz
The right design can open up small rooms and give them the feel of extra space. Test your designer know-how with our quiz about maximizing small spaces through good design.
What is key to making small spaces appear larger?
- painting walls neutral colors
- minimizing accessories
- tricking the eye
What living room item could you replace to make the room appear bigger almost instantly?
- entertainment center
- wooden coffee table
- love seat
What is the main decorating benefit of adding mirrors to your walls?
- You can create an illusion of space.
- You can hide a closet.
- You can see how you look.
What is an easy way to increase light by using mirrors?
- Put a mirror behind a floor lamp.
- Put mirrors on the ceiling.
- Put mirrors directly across the room from windows.
What color furniture is the best choice to make a small room appear larger?
- dark colors like brown and blue
- bright colors like yellow and green
- neutral colors like cream and beige
Choosing light neutral colors can __________.
- make walls and ceilings seem farther away
- draw the eye away from corners
- add brightness to a dark room
How can you create movement and interest in a small room?
- Hang a ceiling lamp in the corner.
- Hang wind chimes near a window.
- Hang several mirrors at different heights.
What is the best way to add color to a small room?
- Paint one wall a bright color.
- Hang brightly colored window treatments.
- Use colorful accessories and artwork.
When choosing furniture for small rooms, what should you pay the most attention to?
- sizes appropriate for the room
- solid colors or simple patterns
- consistent style
What sofa characteristics would best suit a small living room?
- two seats instead of three
- streamlined design
- love seat size
What is a good way to add storage while saving space in a living room?
- coffee table with a shelf on the bottom
- corner bookshelves
- storage ottoman
Which of the following furniture is a good multitasker?
- entertainment center
- mini fridge
- convertible chair
What is an ideal way to decrease clutter in your kitchen?
- Create an appliance nook.
- Store items in your oven.
- Choose multipurpose appliances.
Where is a great spot to optimize storage in almost any home?
- under beds
- under the kitchen table
- behind the couch
What is one option to increase space in your bedroom without sacrificing convenience?
- hanging pockets for closets
- upgrade to larger furniture
- shallow dresser drawers
What is a unique way to create a place for your special figurines and keepsakes?
- Hang them from the ceiling.
- Put them on a bookshelf.
- Put them on open glass shelves with a mirror behind them.
What is an attractive storage option if you have limited closet space?
- over-the-door storage pockets
- decorative boxes
- stackable crates
What is one good way to utilize space in a bedroom?
- Hang colorful clothing items or toys on the wall with hooks.
- Mount shelves on the wall above a bed as a makeshift headboard.
- Add shelves to one side of the closet.
Where is a good spot to store extra towels?
- in the clothes dryer
- under the kitchen sink
- a shelf above the bathroom door
How can you keep spices, pot lids and other small kitchen items organized and out of sight?
- Throw them all in a drawer.
- Put them all in a bowl on top your counter.
- Store them in wire baskets mounted inside cabinet doors.