The Stephen King's 'Misery' Quiz
A successful author's life takes an abject turn when he is imprisoned in a farm house. How much do you know about Stephen King's "Misery?"
What sort of books does Paul Sheldon write?
What is the name of the star of Sheldon's books?
- Jane Eyre
- Misery Chastain
- Annie Wilkes
Where does Paul hunker down to write his latest book?
To which city is Paul driving when he wrecks his car?
- New York City
- Los Angeles
What is Annie's former occupation?
- prison guard
What sort of injury does Paul sustain during the car accident?
- broken legs
- head wound
- broken arms
King intended to publish "Misery" using his pseudonym. Why didn't he?
- He originally hated the book and then decided he liked it.
- He wanted to add to the King brand.
- The pseudonym was publicly revealed to be King.
As soon as she realizes who Paul is, Annie declares what?
- That she is his "No. 1 fan"
- That she was just released from the "wacky ward"
- That she just "loves cats" and has 18 of them
In the movie, who plays the character named Annie?
- Kathy Bates
- Virgina Madsen
- Kasi Lemmons
What happens to Misery Chastain in Paul's latest book?
- She runs away and is never seen again.
- She dies.
- She is assaulted by her lover.
In what year was the novel published?
Why did Paul decide to kill off Misery in his books?
- He was in the middle of a contentious divorce.
- He didn't want to be pigeon-holed as a romance writer.
- He was sick of romance books.
In the 1990 film, which actor plays Paul Sheldon?
- James Caan
- Richard Farnsworth
- Frances Sternhagen
Why does Annie find Paul's crime drama manuscript to be off-putting?
- child abuse
- sex scenes
- vulgar language
In the book, what does Annie do to Paul to keep him from escaping?
- hammers his toes
- cuts off his foot
- breaks his kneecaps
Who plays the role of the local sheriff?
- John Travolta
- William Katt
- Richard Farnsworth
Which Academy Award did the movie win?
- Best Director
- Best Actress
- Beset Music
What does Annie do with Paul's finished crime drama manuscript?
- She makes him burn it.
- She recycles it.
- She uses it as toilet paper.
In the movie, what does Annie do to Paul's feet to keep him from running away?
- cuts them with a knife
- burns them with a blowtorch
- takes a sledgehammer to his feet
What does Annie purchase that gives away Paul's location?
- typing paper
- many pens
The first time he escapes his room, what does Paul do?
- He calls for help.
- He looks for painkillers.
- He watches TV.
For what crime was Annie arrested?
Paul suspects that Annie has killed how many people?
Angered by the new novel, for how long does Annie abandon Paul after realizing that he killed off Misery?
- two days
- two weeks
- 20 hours
What happens when a police officer arrives at the house looking for Paul?
- Annie sets her attack dog on him.
- He arrests Annie and saves Paul.
- Annie runs him over with a lawnmower.
Which actor played Paul in the Broadway adaptation?
- Bruce Willis
- Tom Cruise
- Clint Eastwood
On the typewriter that Annie gives to Paul, which letter is missing?
How does Annie die?
- head injuries
- Paul stabs her.
- He commits suicide.
Stephen King has said that the character Annie was related to which problem in his own life?
- substance abuse
- uncontrollable temper
- childhood abuse
After escaping his ordeal, what kind of book does Paul publish?
- a romance
- a crime drama
- non-fiction about his encounter with Annie