Some people's bad habits are out in the open, but most addictions are well-kept secrets. How much do you really know about the things people just can't stop doing? Take this quiz to test your knowledge.
Rhinotillexomania is a addiction to what?
- getting reconstructive surgery
- biting your fingernails
- picking your nose
A person who is "addicted to love" might do which of the following?
- obsess over a romantic love interest
- jump around from partner to partner
- both of the above
Some people can become addicted to foods they're allergic to. Why?
- The chemicals the body releases during an allergic reaction can become addictive.
- The body develops allergies to addictive substances to protect you from them.
- People always want what they can't have.
Why do addicts keep doing things they know are bad for them?
- Addiction causes people to seek out things that are bad for them.
- Addiction rewires the brain to ignore negative consequences.
- The addiction is stronger than their ability to control their actions.
Addiction to working (workaholism) will go away if a person switches to a less-demanding job.
- Sometimes; it varies from person to person.
People who engage in geophagy have a compulsive desire to eat what?
About how many hours per week does the average Internet addict spend online?
People can be genetically predisposed to addiction and addictive behaviors.
- Scientists don't know whether genetics play a part in addiction.
Which of the following is NOT a withdrawal symptom of caffeine addiction?
- chest pain
People who claim to be addicted to cosmetic surgery are often thought to be suffering from this condition.
- body modification disorder
- body dysmorphic disorder
- Botox syndrome