Everything But the Turkey: The Thanksgiving Sides Quiz
Thanksgiving just isn't about turkey. What do you know about the side dishes you serve on this classic holiday?
True or false: Succotash is a dish made of lima beans, corn and sometimes peppers.
- No, it's not even a vegetable dish.
Why do beets stain things easily?
- Two words: beet grease.
- They contain a red pigment.
- Beets don't stain anything.
When Jell-O was first introduced, how many flavors were available?
True or false: Pecan pie is healthier than pumpkin pie.
- Yes, because orange foods are bad for you.
Ambrosia is defined by what ingredient?
What are candied sweet potatoes?
- They're sweet potatoes baked with brown sugar and marshmallows.
- They're baked potatoes with a sugar glaze.
- They're sweet potatoes with candy bars inside.
True or false: The lima bean is named after Lima, Peru.
- It's actually named after Lima, Ohio.
True or false: The Parker House Roll was invented at the Parker House Hotel in Boston.
- It was a creation of the Chicago Parker House.
A medium-sized sweet potato can provide your daily requirement for which vitamin?
- vitamin A
- vitamin B
- vitamin K
True or false: Brussels sprouts are a type of legume.
- Brussels sprouts aren't actually a food at all.
What's the difference between stuffing and dressing?
- Only stuffing contains meat.
- Dressing has more celery.
- Stuffing's put inside the turkey before you cook it.
When did the Campbell Soup Company develop its green bean casserole recipe?
How are cranberries harvested?
- by picking them off trees
- by picking them off mountaintop bushes
- by flooding bogs
True or false: The colonists and Native Americans enjoyed pumpkin pie at the first Thanksgiving.
- It was pumpkin cheesecake, actually.
True or false: Before coming to the New World, the Pilgrims had never seen corn.
- Some may have, depending on where in Europe they were born.
What color is the top of a turnip?
True or false: Oyster dressing is a popular side in some areas of the country.
- It's only popular in Alaska.
Green bean casserole is made with what type of soup?
- cream of chicken
- cream of celery
- cream of mushroom
True or false: Yams and sweet potatoes are synonymous.
- It depends on the size of the yam.
Where do the giblets in giblet gravy come from?
- They're animal organs.
- They come from a vegetable garden.
- They're cut-off crusts of bread.