The Stephen King's 'The Shining' Quiz
Although it was one of his earliest books, it was also one of his most disturbing. How much do you know about Stephen King's "The Shining?"
The hotel at the center of the book is located in which state?
What is the name of the hotel that the family cares for?
- The Plaza
- The Stuart
- Overlook Hotel
How did King decide on the setting for "The Shining"?
- He randomly picked a spot on a map.
- He knew the owner of the hotel.
- He had always wanted to visit the mountains.
When was "The Shining" first published?
In the book, what problem dogs the character named Jack?
- narcotics addiction
What is "the shining?"
- otherworldly writing capabilities
- amazing sports skills
- psychic-related abilities
Which of the family members develops "the shining?"
What occupation did Jack have before taking up the caretaker gig?
How long did it take King to finish a first draft of the novel?
- a week
- four months
- a year
How many novels did Stephen King publish before "The Shining?"
Before taking the job as caretaker at the hotel, how had Jack hurt his son Danny?
- He broke his arm.
- He broke his nose.
- He fractured his leg.
Which character does the hotel first attempt to possess?
What happened to the caretaker that preceded Jack and his family?
- jumped from the roof
- murder suicide
- died in a suspicious car wreck
Who directed "The Shining" feature film?
- David Lynch
- Stanley Kubrick
- Terry Gillam
What is the name of the sequel to "The Shining?"
- "Doctor Sleep"
- "The Body"
What sort of manuscript is Jack creating before the insanity of the hotel seizes his mind?
- a horror novel
- a true crime novel
- a play
How many takes were required to finish the scene in which Wendy swings a baseball bat at Jack?
In the movie, Stephen King was very unhappy with Kubrick's treatment of which character?
In how many movies did Danny's actor (Dan Lloyd) appear before retiring from Hollywood?
How does former caretaker Delbert Grady kill his daughters?
Why wasn't Kubrick on location for the scenes that were shot in the American mountains?
- He couldn't stand Jack Nicholson.
- He was beginning to hate the story.
- He didn't want to fly.
Which hotel room number is featured prominently in "The Shining?"
Why didn't King approve of Jack Nicholson's performance in the film?
- He was crazy right from the start.
- He wasn't convincing.
- He was too old.
How many pages are there in the original version of the novel?
How did King decide to write a sequel to "The Shining" instead of another "Dark Tower" novel?
- An online poll
- His publisher doubled royalties for "Doctor Sleep."
- His wife insisted.
Why were 900 tons of salt used during the making of the film?
- Kubrick really loved salt.
- It was used for snow scenes.
- It was used for catering.
What odd phrase does Danny repeat throughout the book?
- "Red rum"
- "Bloody night"
- "I see you"
How does Jack escape after Danny and Wendy lock him inside the pantry?
- Danny returns and sets him free.
- A ghost helps him.
- He chops through it with a hatchet.
Why did King's editor try to dissuade him from publishing "The Shining?"
- He didn't want King to write too many horror stories.
- He was afraid it was too similar to King's real life.
- He thought it was too disturbing.
Why did the real-world lodge ask filmmakers to change the room number from 217 to 237?
- They didn't like the story.
- They didn't want to scare guests.
- Too many people asked for 217.