The Theodore Roosevelt Quiz
He lived the kind of epic and sprawling life that seems like the stuff of Hollywood fiction. How much do you know about the 26th President of the United States, Theodore Roosevelt?
Roosevelt won the Medal of Honor for leading a charge in which battle?
- Battle of Fajardo
- Battle of Tayacoba
- The Battle of San Juan Hill
Which oil company did Roosevelt help break up through the use of antitrust laws?
- Pure Oil Company
- Standard Oil
- Union Oil Company
Which two relatives of Teddy Roosevelt died on the same day?
- His wife and mother
- His mother and daughter
- His daughter and wife
Roosevelt was the first president to do what?
- Punch a man who offended him in the Oval Office
- Leave the country while in office
- Attack a sworn ally
Which federal organization did Roosevelt create?
- Forest Service
- Department of the Interior
- Bureau of Land Management
With which health problem did Roosevelt struggle as a child?
How did Roosevelt's son Quentin die?
- Tractor accident
- Shot down in WWI
- In a car race
Roosevelt was a commissioner of which city's police department?
- New York City
- Santa Rosa
Which national park did Roosevelt NOT help create?
- Crater Lake
- Wind Cave
Which president was assassinated, resulting in Roosevelt taking the helm?
- Grover Cleveland
- William McKinley
- Howard Taft
How old was Roosevelt when he became president?
Which one of these was NOT a part of the Square Deal?
- Conservation of natural resources
- Consumer taxation policies
- Control of corporations
What injury did Roosevelt suffer in a boxing match?
- Broken nose (four times)
- Blinded in one eye
- Four broken teeth
In which kind of military unit did Roosevelt serve?
What was the nickname of Roosevelt's cavalry unit?
- The Four Horsemen
- Teddy's Toughest
- Rough Riders
Roosevelt was shocked at the backlash that followed after he hosted a White House dinner for which guest?
- Booker T. Washington
- W.E.B. Dubois
- Mary Ovington
Following the deaths of his wife and mother, where did Roosevelt take up cattle ranching?
- Dakota Territory
At a salary lower only than the president's, Roosevelt put John Wallace in charge of which project?
- Taking down ruthless monopolies
- Completing the Panama Canal
- Creating the national park system
Roosevelt won the Nobel Peace Prize for orchestrating the end of which conflict?
- Anglo-Aro War
- Herero Wars
- Russo-Japanese War
Roosevelt was governor of which state?
- New York
Which moniker did Roosevelt prefer people use when addressing him?
What's the purpose of the Antiquities Act, which Roosevelt signed into law in 1906?
- To save the elderly from being evicted after foreclosures
- To preserve buildings of great historical value
- To create national monuments from public lands
How many antitrust cases did Roosevelt open against corporations?
- about 20
- about 40
- about 60
How did "teddy bears" come to be named after Roosevelt?
- He famously refused to shoot a bear tied to a tree, thinking it wasn't fair to the bear.
- He singlehandedly beat a bear to death when it charged him in Montana.
- He loved cute plush animal toys.
What was the subject of Roosevelt's first book?
- Insect life on the East Coast
- Animals of the American West
- The War of 1812
How many books did Roosevelt publish?
Why did Roosevelt push for the formation of the Boone and Crockett Club?
- To safeguard large game animals and their homes
- To protect homesteaders from Native American raids
- To stop the building of dams on every Western river
What did Roosevelt do during his honeymoon with his first wife?
- Adopted a wild wolf
- Climbed a 15,000-foot mountain
- Parachuted over the English Channel
What caused the death of his first wife, Alice?
- Kidney failure
- Brain aneurysm
- In childbirth
What prompted Roosevelt to give up ranching and return back East to resume his career?
- A severe winter
- A smallpox outbreak
- A friend insisted that he run for office.