Thrifty Flying: Are you a budget-savvy traveler?
Airline fares are on the rise, and you need a vacation on the cheap. Think you have what it takes to find the best bargain on the plane? Take our quiz and find out.
Airfares have always been subject to frequent changes.
Between 2010 and 2011, the average domestic fare in the United States increased by what percentage?
- 20.2 percent
- 8.4 percent
- 4.8 percent
Which United States city experienced the highest percent increase in domestic airfare between 2010 and 2011?
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Madison, Wis.
- Austin, Texas
What information will an airfare search on a travel Web site provide?
- results from every airline
- the lowest possible ticket prices
- an easy-to-read table with fares from several airlines
When searching for tickets, it's best to only consider the fares of one airline carrier.
Which Web site is used to research airfares from multiple airlines?
What is one common way airlines alert customers about great deals on airfare?
- calling potential customers
- sending out e-mails to those who signed up to receive alerts
- placing advertisements in newspapers
Alerts about airfares are only sent out by airline carriers.
Which of these is a third-party Web site where you can sign up to receive alerts about low fares on a variety of airlines?
Taxes and fees on airline tickets can sometimes amount to 30 percent or more of the price.
Which is not a federal tax or fee?
- segment tax
- passenger facility charge
- September 11 security fee
Which of the following airlines charges a baggage fee for the first checked bag?
True or false: Airlines typically announce sales in the middle of the week.
If you've purchased an airline ticket and you're worried that the price may go down, you should do what?
- Do nothing. There is nothing you can do once you've already purchased a ticket.
- Buy the cheaper ticket if it becomes available. Then the airline will refund the more expensive one.
- Sign up for a fare-tracking Web site like Yapta.com. If it alerts you of a cheaper ticket, you may be eligible for a refund for the difference.
Which is the best time to purchase an airline ticket?
- 10 weeks in advance
- four weeks in advance
- two weeks in advance
Which is not a cheap day to fly?
What do you call the travel season in between the high season and the low season?
- middle season
- transitional season
- shoulder season
What kind of flight takes off and lands in the wee hours of the morning?
Which does not affect the price of your airline ticket?
- when you fly
- when you buy the ticket
- when you check in for the flight
Which was the first airline to announce a baggage fee on the first checked bag?
- American Airlines