A car's transmission enables the engine to provide a wide range of output speeds. Without it, you'd be limited to just one gear. Test your knowledge of both automatic and manual transmissions in this quiz.
A manual transmission is connected to the engine through the:
What connects the gears to the drive shaft in a manual transmission?
In a manual transmission, how does the collar engage a gear?
- with magnets
- with dog teeth
- with hydraulics
What do manual transmissions in modern passenger cars use to eliminate the need for double-clutching?
- elite motor oil
What two things do automatic transmissions lack that manual transmissions have?
- clutch pedal and gears
- clutch pedal and gear shift
- clutch pedal and steering wheel
What creates the different gear ratios in an automatic transmission?
- a series of four gears
- planetary gearset
- planetary hydraulics
In most automatic transmissions, which gear produces a 1-1 ratio?
- second gear
- third gear
- fourth gear
What feeds the transmission cooler and torque converter in an automatic transmission?
- the sump
- the governor
- the gear pump
What tells the automatic transmission how fast the car is going?
- the governor
- the gear pump
- the sump
In an automatic transmission, the shift lever hooks up to the:
- throttle valve
- vacuum modulator
- manual valve
CVT stands for:
- continuously variable transmission
- compact vehicle transmission
- connecting vortex turbine
A continuously variable transmission is a type of:
- transmission for race cars
- manual transmission
- automatic transmission
What does a tachometer do?
- It keeps track of how fast the car has gone.
- It's a gauge in the dashboard that shows what gear the car is in.
- It's a gauge in the dashboard that shows the engine’s rpms.
What is the redline?
- the maximum rpm value above which the engine cannot go without exploding
- the light that tells passengers to put on their seatbelts
- a type of oil that makes the transmission faster
How does the redline relate to the transmission?
- The redline on the tachometer helps the driver know when to shift.
- The redline tells the driver what gear the car is in.
- The redline tells the driver when to change the transmission fluid.
What type of modern transmission is generally best for fuel economy?
What is the “H” that’s on top of many manual shift knobs?
- It reminds the driver to "Hold" in the clutch while in neutral.
- It shows the shift pattern.
- It tells the driver where to put his or her "Hand."
Why is the CVT so common in hybrid cars?
- better fuel economy
- it’s the cheapest
- it’s powered by hybrid batteries
If you shift a manual transmission into reverse while the car’s going forward, what happens?
- it goes backwards
- the clutch pedal falls off
- nothing except a lot of noise
What happens if a four-wheel drive vehicle is towed?
- worn-out tires
- its feelings will get hurt
- transmission damage
What kind of car usually needs a transmission cooler?
- all cars
- hybrid cars
- tow vehicles
Should a transmission cooler be installed by a mechanic?
- Yes, it needs a lot of special tools.
- No, it’s easy to do at home.
- No, you should buy a car that already has one.
How do you know if your transmission fluid is leaking?
- It won’t. They’re leak-proof.
- The car won’t start.
- There will be a puddle on the ground.
What color is a transmission fluid leak?
- red or brown
- red or green
When was the CVT first thought up?
- more than 500 years ago
- right before 1997, when the first Toyota Prius came out in Japan
- right before 1996, when the General Motors EV1 came out
What’s the recommended interval to change transmission fluid?
- at every oil change
- every couple of years
Do CVTs actually have a gearbox?
- No, they have a pulley system.
- No, the gears are on a grid instead of in a box.
Why do automatic transmissions sometimes feel slow or sluggish?
- It’s caused by a bad tachometer.
- It’s caused by a bad clutch.
- It’s caused by heavy engine load.
We already established that cars with automatic transmissions do not have a clutch pedal. But do they have a clutch?
- yes, but only with an aftermarket performance kit
Why do some people believe that manual transmissions are faster or provide better performance?
- lots of performance cars still have them
- they are faster
- they don't wear out as fast