The Ultimate Lighting Quiz
Lighting uses energy in various ways to enhance what we see around us. Take this quiz to determine see how enlightened you are about lighting.
What is the main reason why a regular incandescent bulb is not energy efficient?
- Most of the electricity is used to make the gas reactive.
- Most of the electricity goes into heating the filament.
- Most of the electricity used to overcome fluorescence.
What happens to an incandescent bulb to cause it to burn out?
- The tungsten filament is slowly vaporized, leaving a thin spot that eventually breaks.
- The gas in the bulb is slowly depleted until there is not enough to create light.
- The bulb gets hotter with each use until the solder attaching the filament melts.
On average, how many hours of normal usage do you get from an incandescent bulb?
- 400 to 650 hours
- 600 to 950 hours
- 750 to 1,000 hours
Why is the envelope of the halogen bulb made from quartz?
- A glass envelope contains impurities that react to the halogen gas.
- A glass envelope crystallizes when subjected to halogen gas.
- A glass envelope will melt from the intense heat.
What is the effect on a heated tungsten filament when used in a bulb filled with halogen gas?
- The halogen gas forms a protective coating on the filament.
- The halogen gas atoms combine with vaporized tungsten and deposit it onto the filament.
- The halogen gas prevents the filament from releasing any vaporized tungsten.
Approximately how many lumens of light per watt does an incandescent bulb generate?
- 15 lumens
- 30 lumens
- 45 lumens
How many electrodes are contained in a fluorescent tube?
- one electrode
- two electrodes
- four electrodes
What are the two gases contained in a fluorescent tube?
- argon and mercury
- halogen and nitrogen
- mercury and nitrogen
- produce far more heat than incandescent bulbs
- produce far less heat than incandescent bulbs.
- produce approximately the same amount of heat as incandescent bulbs.
What is the primary purpose of the argon gas inside the fluorescent tube?
- The argon gas produces light when the electrons excite it.
- The argon gas provides the pressure that keeps the phosphor coating in place.
- The argon gas allows the electrons to flow between the electrodes.
What is the purpose of the mercury gas contained within the fluorescent tube?
- Atoms of mercury gas generate ultraviolent photons when they are excited.
- Atoms of mercury gas generate visible light when they are excited.
- Atoms of mercury gas collide with argon atoms to generate light.
What is the purpose of the phosphorus coating on the glass of a fluorescent tube?
- prevents the mercury atoms from escaping through the glass
- gives fluorescent tubes that nice clean white color
- makes ultraviolet light visible
What is the primary difference between neon tubes used on signs and fluorescent tubes?
- Neon tubes are virtually the same as fluorescent tubes.
- Neon tubes produce light directly from neon gas.
- The primary difference is the phosphorus coating is tinted various colors.
Why is electroluminescence a more efficient form of light production than incandescence?
- Electricity is converted directly to light.
- Only half as much heat is generated while producing light.
- There is less electricity wasted during startup.
The Indiglo light contained in a Timex watch is an example of:
How many lumens of light per watt does a standard florescent tube produce?
- 40 to 80
- 50 to 100
- 75 to 150
How many filaments are contained within a three-way incandescent bulb?
- one filament
- two filaments
- three filaments
The brightness of a three-way bulb is determined by:
- the amount of voltage sent to the bulb
- a photocell sensor contained within the bulb
- the position of the switch on the lamp
What would be the typical filament combination inside a bulb rated at 150-watts maximum output?
- one 100-watt and two 50-watt
- one 100-watt and one 50-watt
- three 50-watt
How much more efficient are fluorescent tubes in producing light than a typical incandescent light?
- four to six times
- eight to 10 times
- 10 to 20 times