When we think of addictions, we think about drugs like heroin and cocaine. But what about addictions considered strange or unique? Let this quiz put your knowledge of addiction to the test.
True or false: Strange addictions are just as real as addictions to drugs or other substances.
What disorder causes people to crave and eat non-food substances such as paint, chalk or paper?
- anorexia nervosa
- binge eating
True or false: Tanning addicts -- "tanorexics" -- experience symptoms of withdrawal when they stop tanning.
Treatment options for addictions may include all of the following EXCEPT:
- group therapy
- cognitive-behavioral therapy
- drug therapy
- electroshock therapy
Individuals with body dysmorphic disorder may have the following symptoms EXCEPT:
- multiple and frequent plastic surgery procedures
- overemphasis on grooming and excessive use of makeup
- mood swings
- extreme self-consciousness and importance placed on appearance
People who obsessively pull out their own hair may have which of the following disorders:
- Bipolar disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
Do you need to check your email every few minutes? Do you feel anxious or angry when you're not able to get online? These are symptoms of Internet addiction. Three of the following are subtypes of Internet Addiction Disorder -- which one is NOT?
- inordinate amount of time spent playing computer games
- excessive interest in Internet pornography, cybersex and adult chat rooms
- obsessively thinking about money
- obsessively checking email and text messages
Which of the following brain chemical is associated with addictive behavior and addiction:
It's estimated that how many American adults are compulsive shoppers:
- 1 in 10
- 1 in 20
- 1 in 50
- 1 in 100
People who are addicted to exercise may be motivated by:
- a runner's high
- obsession to control body weight
- underlying infection
- an attempt to gain control over overwhelming feelings or distress