Really exceptional things are considered the "gold standard," but in building, there's a growing "green standard" to meet and exceed. See if your own knowledge of the topic is up to code with this quiz.
When did green building construction get its start in the United States?
A professional with green building expertise might have what type of certification?
- Certified Green Professional (CGP)
- Sustainable Building Pro (SBP)
- Certified Green Contractor (CGC)
An international green building code is due to be published when?
Which U.S. state implemented the first green codes for construction?
New York City regulates green construction with which type of oversight?
- City codes
- A review board
Rammed-Earth buildings follow what construction standards?
- There is no rammed Earth code.
- Rammed Earth 101
- The International Building Code
Wood-frame house construction often has code issues with which of the following?
- Grade of timber
- Treated wood
- Fire hazards
Which codes govern solar building designs?
- State and national
- National fenestration codes
- National, local and state
Who is responsible for making sure a green home is up to code?
- The designer and builder
- The engineer and inspector
- The builders and owners
Why can the foundation be a challenge in green building?
- Site sensitivity and impact
- Poor technology
- Weak materials
Which countries have many pioneers in green home building?
- United States, Canada and Mexico
- Norway, Finland and Sweden
- Germany, Italy and France
Which architect is world-renowned for his green designs?
- Lewis Mumford
- Renzo Piano
- Art Vandelay
Which issues might be particularly challenging for straw-bale builders?
- Fire safety
Which code has been superseded but is still sometimes used in the United States?
- Uniform Building Code (UBC)
- American Building Code (ABC)
- Residential Construction Code (RCC)
What is a common issue with green construction that must be earthquake-resistant?
- Materials restrictions
- Concrete requirements
- Steel requirements
Which materials are hard to get up to code?
- Salvaged materials
- Insulating Concrete Form (ICF) components
Which of these is NOT a true green innovation?
- Brown water cooking
- Gray water reuse
- Black water treatment
What is a common complaint of people who live in green homes?
- Upkeep costs
- Not seeing the promised savings
- Durability and looks
Can you build sort-of green, or do you have to go all the way?
- There is no green "between."
- Go green or go home.
- A little at a time is fine.
Did the early 20th-century, influential architects Greene & Greene build "green?"
- No, they were Arts and Crafts builders.
- No, it was before "green" was popular.
- Yes, they used many elements of green design.