The Ultimate U.S. Pet Travel Laws Quiz
Certain pet immunizations are mandatory in every state, but there are no universal laws governing travelling with pets. Take our quiz to learn more about pet travel laws.
There are different laws in each state regarding dogs. What can happen if you fail to obey local law for your dog as you pass though another state?
- You could be stopped and sent back home with your pet.
- You will not be able to stay but you may be allowed to pass through.
- You will likely receive a fine and your dog could be quarantined for a few days or weeks.
What is a common kind of dog that many airlines may ban from boarding their planes?
- pit bull
What is a law that you may have problems with if you own a dog that has a history of being bred for fighting and aggression?
- breed-specific laws (BSL)
- aggressive-canine law (ACL)
- carnivore canine law (CCL)
What should you know abut BSL that could make traveling easier if you plan your route ahead of time?
- Nineteen states have enacted statutes that prohibit individual towns from enacting any breed-specific laws.
- Eleven states have enacted statutes that prohibit individual towns from enacting any breed-specific laws.
- Seven states have enacted statutes that prohibit individual towns from enacting any breed-specific laws.
How many states require that your dog be harnessed to a seat belt when it is traveling in your car or truck?
- Presently there are no states requiring pet harness by law in cars or trucks.
- There are 10 states with a law requiring pets to be harnessed in a vehicle.
- There are about 25 states requiring the harnessing of pets while travelling in a vehicle.
Why is it that states have or want to enact laws to restrain your dog while traveling in a vehicle?
- Unrestrained items (or pets) are accelerated forward with hundreds of pounds of force during sudden stops.
- Accidents have been caused by excited dogs jumping on a driver or causing distractions as they bounce about.
- Both of the above are reasons for the new pet restraint laws.
What is the law concerning traveling guide dogs or service dogs?
- Certified guide dogs are allowed into any state or country without any quarantine restrictions.
- Dogs are permitted on all forms of public transport regardless of restrictions to other pets.
- Owners of guide dogs are not required to scoop up after their dogs.
What state has special quarantine laws for pets that apply even to guide or service animals?
Why is it that Hawaii can be allowed to bypass Americans with Disabilities Laws to quarantine guide or service dogs?
- There has never been any rabies in Hawaii and they want to keep it out.
- The last verified case of rabies in Hawaii was over 100 years ago and they want zero possibility of a new case.
- There has never been any distemper in Hawaii, an untreatable virus and they want to keep it out.
How many ports of entry in the Hawaii Islands handle inspection and quarantine of dogs and cats travelling with you?
How many days before arrival in Hawaii must your dog have had the OIE-FAVN rabies antibody test?
- at least 90 days prior to arrival
- at least 120 days prior to arrival
- at least 150 days prior to arrival
If your dog or cat fails inspection and ends up quarantined in Hawaii, how many days is the standard quarantine period?
- 180 days
- 150 days
- 120 days
What is the standard fee to put your pet through the five-day-or-less program when entering Hawaii?
How many dogs are estimated to die each year because of riding in the back of pickup trucks?
Why should you never tie your dog up while it rides in the box of a pickup truck?
- A dog could lose its footing and fall, causing it to choke or injure its neck.
- A dog could bounce out of the truck and be dragged causing serious injury or death before you notice.
- Both of the above are dangers of tethering your dog in an open pickup box.
What animals that people own besides cats and dogs should have recommended rabies shots?
- both of the above
How long do rabies shots protect your pet before they require a booster shot?
- one to four years
- three years
- three to five years
Your vet will advise on required vaccinations for your dog, but what is one vaccine that a dog you travel with, board or take to public places should have besides rabies?
- canine leukemia
What is the maximum fine for animal cruelty in the state of Oregon?
What is the maximum prison sentence for animal cruelty of any state in the U.S.?
- 18 years
- 14 years
- 10 years