Washer-dryer Settings Quiz
We all think we know how to do a load of laundry. The instructions are right there! But how much do you really know, and how much is just habit? Prove your mastery of laundry knowledge with this quiz.
Surprisingly small loads of laundry can sometimes take longer to dry than larger ones. What's one way to speed up a small batch?
- add a couple of clean, dry towels
- crank up the dryer to the hottest possible setting
- throw in a couple of clean kitchen sponges to absorb moisture
New clothes can bleed their dyes and fade with the first wash. What's one way to stop this?
- use the massage setting on your washer
- drop in half a cup of salt with the wash
- add one tablespoon of corn syrup to make the colors stick, then wash normally
Some tags say "dry clean only." How seriously do you have to take that?
- Very seriously. Clean your dry-clean-only clothes any other way, and you might as well be setting them on fire.
- Moderately. Dry cleaning is often just one of your options.
- Ignore it. Clean is clean.
Which of these materials can be washed in hot water?
- a sturdy wool sweater
- a white linen bedsheet
- a sexy, yet tasteful, pair of leather pants
At what water temperature do most laundry detergents work properly?
- 40 degrees Fahrenheit
- 50 degrees Fahrenheit
- 60 degrees Fahrenheit
Washing downy articles like comforters and coats can result in clumping when they get to the dryer. What's one way to keep your fluff fluffy?
- place something heavy (like a stack of books) on top of the dryer to keep it from vibrating too much
- freeze wet down before putting it in the dryer
- throw in tennis balls
True or false: More detergent means cleaner clothes.
- True. Too much is never enough.
- False. What do you need all that soap for?
- It depends, so long as we're not talking about going bananas and using the entire bottle.
How much water does it take to wash a load of laundry?
- Enough to get the clothes wet, but not more than a few inches at the bottom of the washer.
- Just enough to cover. We're not making laundry soup here.
- The washer should fill entirely. They're designed that way for a reason.
Which of the following will make your clothes dry faster on a regular basis?
- cleaning the lint trap
- taking wet clothes out of the washer as soon as possible
- making sure dryer loads are separated according to fabric type
What's the best way to treat silk after hand-washing?
- iron immediately, then stretch it by hand as silk dries
- dry silk in the dryer at the lowest heat setting, then iron it
- Let the silk air dry until it's damp, and then put it in the freezer. Once silk is frozen, it can be ironed.