The Ultimate Washing Machines and Allergies Quiz
Looking for a way to control irritating allergies? Rumor has it that there are washing machines that can get rid of allergens. Sound too good to be true? Take our quiz to find out all about it.
What are some airborne allergy symptoms?
- itchy and stuffy nose
What is a common cause of allergies?
- dust mites
- furniture lacquer
What do dust mites eat?
- any form of protein
- dead skin cells
What is the most effective weapon to kill dust mites?
- bug spray
- extreme temperatures
What temperature does the water in a washer need to be to effectively eliminate dust mites?
- 100 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (38 to 55 degrees Celsius)
- 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit (55 to 60 degrees Celsius)
- 150 to 160 degrees Fahrenheit (66 to 71 degrees Celsius)
If your washer temperature doesn't get high enough to kill dust mites, what is an alternative way to eliminate them?
- Put an infested item in the freezer.
- Zap an infested item in the microwave.
- Soak items in bleach prior to laundering them.
What are some items that are given a allergen-reducing certification?
- mattresses and vacuum cleaners
- freezers and refrigerators
- couches and chairs
Which brands produce washers with an allergen-reducing certification?
- Maytag and Miele
- Fisher Paykel and Westinghouse
- LG and Samsung
Which group gives allergy certifications?
- Allergy Prevention Society
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of Britain
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
Where are dust mites most commonly found?
- on clothes
- in bedding
- in carpeting