Such a filthy mind. Test your knowledge of what is covered in filth and what is spick-and-span (or at least less covered in filth) when you take this quiz. Be prepared to carry hand sanitizer everywhere you go for days after you've completed it.
We've all heard that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's. Is it true?
- No, are you kidding? Dogs eat garbage.
- Yes! My dog's saliva heals all ills.
- It's reasonable to say that in some ways a dog's lick is "cleaner" than a human's.
If you really want a rash, which body of water should you hop in?
How many Americans get sick every year from a foodborne illness?
- 10 million
- 48 million
- 80 million
A National Sanitation Foundation study swabbed 14 places in 20 kitchens. What was on 100 percent of the items?
- E. coli
- yeast and mold
What nook was one of the germiest places in the kitchen in the NSF study?
- trash can
- blender gasket
What is one place that the NSF found was NOT as dirty as suspected?
- fridge handle
- kitchen floor
- microwave keys
What was cleaner than the spatula?
- water dispenser
- can opener
- a dog's mouth
Which is cleanest?
- pizza cutter
- knife block
- fridge insulating seal
What does the Hygiene Council recommend when it comes to laundry?
- Wash your clothes every day.
- Bleach all laundry.
- Dry clothes immediately after washing to avoid bacterial growth on damp clothes.
What's a good strategy for decontaminating sponges?
- microwave it for 30 seconds
- throw it in the dishwasher
Whose office is cleaner?
- It's sexist either way! They're totally equal!
OK, well then who has cleaner hands?
- Why must we pit the sexes against each other? I refuse to pick sides.
What is one possible culprit for women-as-germier?
- hair care products
- Women's legs are more often exposed, leading to greater germ habitat.
Whose workspace is the germiest?
- bank tellers
What's one office area dirtier than your toilet?
Let's stick with toilets. What's another everyday item that's dirtier than your toilet?
- nail clippers
We're on a roll. Name one more place that studies show is dirtier than the toilet.
- your phone
- dog bed
What did one study find did NOT help keep germ counts down at the gym?
- disinfecting the equipment twice a day
- requiring showers
- providing towels
What contaminated almost two-thirds of shopping cart handles in a 2007 study?
- E. coli
- fecal matter
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (the superbug MRSA) can live about four days on a toilet handle. Where can it live for seven days?
- on the cloth of your airplane seat
- your silver bracelet