The Ultimate Window Cleaning Quiz
You don't need to hire a professional to learn how to clean windows. A few good tips and some shared secrets can turn a dreaded chore into a pleasant task.
What is the minimum recommended cleaning interval for windows?
- Windows should be cleaned at least once every two months.
- Windows should be cleaned at least once every six months.
- Windows should be cleaned at least once a month.
What is a recommended process when washing windows on both sides?
- Wash one side of the window with horizontal strokes and the other side with vertical strokes to identify source of streaks.
- Wash the inside of the window first as it is easier to see streaks from outside looking in.
- Both of the above answers are correct.
How should you clean large windows most effectively?
- Use a scaffold ladder inside and outside so you can move quickly over the entire window to minimize streaks.
- Wash large windows the same way that you wash smaller windows only concentrate on one segment at a time.
- Employ a squeegee attached to a long handle to prevent streaks on large windows.
How do you keep a squeegee from leaving streaks as you work down the window?
- Overlap each horizontal pass by about 2 inches as you move horizontally from right to left across the window.
- Wipe your squeegee with a terry towel after each pass to prevent leaving a trail with the wet squeegee.
- Both of the above tips apply to window cleaning with a squeegee.
How can you eliminate small scratches on your windows?
- You can pick up a tin of rubbing compound at your local hardware store and follow directions.
- Polish a scratch out of your glass with toothpaste on a soft cloth.
- There is little that you can do to eliminate scratches from window glass without causing more damage.
When is the optimum time to wash your windows?
- It is best to clean your windows on a clear sunny day so you can spot any streaks easier.
- It is best if you wait for a cloudy day to clean your windows to avoid reflected glare from sunshine.
- It is best if you wait for a cloudy day to clean your windows to avoid the tendency for cleaner to dry too quickly in the sun.
What is a benefit to shining windows with a crumpled newspaper?
- It will give a sense of accomplishment to hear the window squeaking because it is so clean.
- By nature, newspaper leaves a clear film on the glass that is resistant to dirt accumulation.
- For some reason streaks are absorbed naturally by the inks contained in the newspaper.
When you are using a window cleaning solution ad cloths to clean windows what is a good process to follow?
- Clean your windows from the top down to prevent drips onto areas already cleaned.
- Spray on only enough cleaner to dampen an area that you can wipe clean in about a minute or less.
- Both of these tips will help you clean windows quickly and easily.
What is one important reminder that you should keep in mind while you clean windows?
- Window cleaner solutions and soapy water can harm woodwork so avoid drips and wipe up any drips quickly.
- Have several cloths handy and switch to a fresh cloth every time your cloth gets very damp or dirty.
- When cleaning outside windows from a ladder always have a helper on the ground to hold your ladder.
What is a good effective homemade glass cleaning solution recipe?
- Combine 2 tablespoons of ammonia, ½ cup rubbing alcohol and ¼ teaspoon of dishwashing detergent in a spray bottle.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of vinegar, ½ cup rubbing alcohol and ¼ teaspoon of dishwashing detergent in a spray bottle.
- Both of these solutions give excellent results when used to clean windows.