X-rays have revolutionized medical treatments and saved many lives, but despite their success, they produce radiation that can give rise to health problems. Take this quiz to test your knowledge of X-rays and how they affect our bodies.
What gives X-rays their name?
- X-rays tend to crisscross like an "X."
- They are called "X" rays because they were unknown to scientists at the time.
- Scientists use the alphabet to name new rays, and it was X's turn.
Although the effects of X-ray radiation can be harmful, what else can they do?
- X-rays detect what's going on inside the body, even for something as small as kidney stones.
- X-ray radiation can be used to treat certain cancers.
- Both are correct.
What types of imaging techniques expose people to X-ray radiation?
- PET scans
- CT scans
- MRI scans
Medical X-rays and nuclear medicine -- when doctors use radioactive materials to help image patients' bodies -- account for what percentage of radiation exposure among Americans?
- about 50 percent
- 75 percent
- approximately 90 percent
Which material stops X-rays dead in their tracks, preventing unnecessary exposure to radiation?
Which NASA tool focuses on measuring and collecting data about X-ray radiation in space?
- Spitzer telescope
- Hubble telescope
- Chandra observatory
Which exposes you to more radiation: smoking a pack of cigarettes or receiving a basic chest X-ray?
- smoking a pack of cigarettes
- receiving a chest X-ray
- They expose people to equal amounts of radiation.
What are the initial symptoms of radiation sickness?
- nausea and vomiting
- hair loss
- There aren't early signs of radiation sickness.
What happens when an X-ray beam is turned off?
- X-rays will continue to pour out for five to 10 minutes.
- X-ray radiation will linger for up to five minutes.
- Turning an X-ray machine off leaves the area free of radiation.
What factors might your doctor consider when deciding whether to use X-rays on you?
- whether you are pregnant
- whether you've had many X-rays performed in the past
- Both answers are correct.