You may have read about ancient Central Asian yurts in a grade school history class. But did you know that the unique round dwellings are now growing in popularity around the world? Test your knowledge of yurt engineering, history and culture with this quiz.
The earliest yurts we've found evidence of are from when?
- 4th century B.C.
- 3rd century A.D.
- 13th century A.D.
The oldest complete yurt, dating to the 13th century, was found where?
- in a Mongolian grave
- in a Chinese cave
- in a Russian barn
What were the benefits of yurts for Central Asian nomads?
- portability and ease of heating
- low resource usage and inexpensive
- sturdy and easy to build
Where did the American yurt resurgence begin?
What was the initial reason that led an Oregon campsite to install yurts?
- budgetary concerns
- rustic charm
- low temperatures
What is the Mongolians word for a yurt?
What forms the skeleton of a yurt's walls?
- wooden latticework
- a bamboo cage
- cured skins
What piece of a yurt's structure gives it its extraordinary strength?
- a tension cable around the frame
- cross bars through the center
- the angled roof rafters
What makes yurts able to withstand strong winds?
- their shape
- the material of their walls
- their deep anchoring in the ground
Out of what material did Mongolians traditionally make their yurts?
- sheep's wool
- animal skins
- woven grass
What was a drawback to the woolen felt that Mongolians used in their yurts?
- It absorbed a lot of water.
- Wind could flow through it.
- It was highly flammable.
How tall are most yurts?
- about 5 feet
- a little over 6 feet
- up to 8 feet
What percentage of the internal space in a yurt can you use?
What is different in Turkic yurts, compared to Mongolian ones?
- They use bent poles that are both the walls and roof beams.
- They use less absorbent materials for the walls.
- They are built for more permanent placement.
What is the origin of the word "nomad?"
In the yurts of Buddhist Mongolians, what side would hold the altar?
According to tradition, what should you not do in a ger?
About how many yurts are being used throughout North America?
What amenities are options in modern yurts?
- ceiling fans and gutters
- basements and windows
- inner walls and retractable roofs
What should you do when talking to a bank about a loan for a yurt?
- not call it a yurt
- line up insurance first
- underscore the durability of the yurt